Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Non-)Uniform Scale constraint

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I know that two unique contraints, "Uniform Scale" and "Non-uniform Scale", can be applied to splines in sketch.

But, since editing splines in sketch would almost surely lead to disrupted associativeness, the two contraints look very good, but are not usable in my workflow.

I'm wondering whether there is an easy workaround to achieve effects similar to (Non-)Uniform Scale constraint in sketch. If the workaroud is usable with general objects like arc, conic and spline outside sketcher, it woud be very very helpful.

Thanks!

Image.png

4 REPLIES

Re: (Non-)Uniform Scale constraint

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hi,

Scaling curves of other types than spline will lead to complications in a sketch. The curve type of an arc changes to ellipse when you scale it non-uniformly. The sketch solver does not have this type of scale constraint and changing curve types during solving might also cause trouble.

Good news: There is a scale curve feature that can scale curves non-uniformly. It was introduced in NX 11.

Enjoy using NX!

Regards, **bleep**

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @DickBaardse

I'm currently using Scale Curve feature. But to use Scale Curve to simulate functionalities of (Non-)Uniform Scale constraints seems to involve many more features to be created. If it's the only solution currently, I would settle on it.

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you are wanting to control the shape and size of a spline parametrically I think the best work flow is first to use curves and lines, either in a sketch or as wireframe arc/line features, then create an associative spline features that is driven by these curves.

For example if you want a spline to start flat from a center line point and end somewhere else with a specific radius, you create a horizontal line going in the opposite direction from the center plan and an arc of required radius starting where you want the spline to end. Then create either a spline or bridge curve feature between the two curves making the start G1 and the end G2 continuous.

Steve V

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @StevenVickers

To control difining points/poles/continuity of a spline either by constraints or expressions, not only costs huge amount of time, but also loses some very important minute details along the spline due to reparameterization.

In my past experience with artistic spline, scaling the curve directly seems to be the best reliable way to keep very minor details along the spline safely intact.

I'm not 100% confident with my current idea. But after some practice, it appears to be workable.

Thanks for your comments!