Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nx 12 Weight Management

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Quick Questions :

I am selecting a quick measure of weight under measure bodies , i select one body and get

Weight                          =   33.22022386745 lbf

What units are 1bf? (I just want to see lbs)

Where is the best place to change the density to another material like wood? (can i do this on the fly or must use customer defaults and log out and in again )

Can I set up a cell in a PMI Table to have the attribute of the weight, I have seen some info for drafting out there?

I assume if i have multi bodies I would just tally up the cells for total weight?

thanks

Barry Waldie
2 REPLIES

Re: Nx 12 Weight Management

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Weight is a measurement of force, not mass.  Therefore we adopted the units of Pounds-Force, or 'lbf'.  This can be important later on if and when the 'weight' of an object is to be used in a formula where force is the intended parameter.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Re: Nx 12 Weight Management

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

What units are 1bf? (I just want to see lbs)

lbs = weight.

lbf = pounds force (mass under gravity).  Measure bodies will list Mass as lbm (pound mass) and Weight as lbf (pound force).  Why are they the same value?  Watch this.

The base unit for mass in the English system is the slug.

Where is the best place to change the density to another material like wood? (can i do this on the fly or must use customer defaults and log out and in again )

Either edit the solid density of your body:  Menu > Edit > Feature > Solid Density

Or, assign a material to the body:  Menu > Tools > Materials > Assign Materials

Can I set up a cell in a PMI Table to have the attribute of the weight, I have seen some info for drafting out there?

Yes, you can use the Relationships option to read the 'MassPropWeight' Part Attribute of a part file in a note or a table.

I assume if i have multi bodies I would just tally up the cells for total weight?

MassPropWeight stores the value for the entire part.  You could use Measure Bodies and save the weight for each body as an expression and then reference that expression (again using Relationships) in a note or a table.

Regards, Ben