Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One-Time Permanent Alternative for Show and Hide

Creator
Creator

I am new NX user switching from SW.

I'd like to know if there is anyway to set the visibility of objects for once and don't worry about anymore until you change it yourself. Based on the NX documentation, Show and Hide is temporary. For example, if you hide all Datums in an assembly using Show and Hide command, and if you edit some parts, you will see some of the Datums and you must repeat the Show and Hide command again.

I looked around on forums and found out about layers and Reference Sets. My understanding is that Layers only work if you move/sort all of the existing objects manually (or using NX Open) and then set the visible/hidden layers. BUT, how about new objects in new parts or subassemblies? Of course, it is possible to use NX Open to automate this sorting process, but after adding any new object, you shouold execute the NX Open code in order to sort the new objects as well. So this will add another end-less execution that you should keep doing as long as you are adding objects and parts to your assembly (this is especially worse if you are designig in bottom-up assembly).

Reference Sets (again based my understanding) have their own issues. They need to be defined manually for new parts. Again you must use NX Open to set a specific Reference Set that for example hides all of the Datums for all of the parts, or you should select all of the parts and set the Reference Set for all of them which doesn't seem to be a fast operation especially if you need to do it hundereds of times a day.

So, I am wondering what is the effecient way of doing this?

4 REPLIES

Re: One-Time Permanent Alternative for Show and Hide

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

With regards to new objects created you can force them to be on a particular layer which could be switched off. Preferences->Object , change Type to Datums for example, select a layer and apply. All datums created will be on that layer.

Personally however I prefer to use Show/Hide. For example Ctlr-W you can hide by type.

Steve V

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

Hi Steve,

where did you see the ability to set layer for new objects? On 'Preferences => Object' I only can set the color for new Datums but not the layer.

There is a input-box for layer but only for "Work layer".

I checked that in NX9 and NX10.

Ciao, Jürgen

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, my bad, sorry. You are correct can only change color.

Steve V

Creator
Creator

Thanks for your comments.

So, then what is the best approach? If you use Hide and Show, it won't last long and you have to keep doing it. PLease let me know how you deal with this?