Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a part without Updating it?

Legend
Legend

Have I somehow set a default?  I've got this one part that will not open, I cannot wave link the geometry into another file. I'm stuck...

When I try to open the part file, It's updating features and I don't have the GM environment.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX EAP
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro
5 REPLIES

Re: Opening a part without Updating it?

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @R_Newcomb,

What does the listing window report?

Have you tried disabling Load Interpart Data in your Assembly Load Options and delaying updates (Menu > Tools > Update > Interpart Update).

Regards, Ben

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The ug_inspect utility has an option to extract the parasolid data from a file. I don't know if it attempts any sort of update before doing so. If all you need are the solids, this might work.

If the file is corrupt, all bets are off...

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
I don't think it's corrupt. Based on the status line the feature appears to be KF driven, so NX might be looking for a dfa file to update the part. Since this is a GM part the PDL Toolkit might also be required. I'd suggest giving the PDL support group of GTAC a call and see what they suggest.

Regards, Ben

Legend
Legend

The specified string contains a syntax error

Couldn't find object for GM_ProjectPointOnBody.
No function GM_ProjectPointOnBody.

followed by a bunch of code.

Isn't there a way to just open a file without it trying to update all of the features?

If open the top level part in the asm, I can see the part. but then I try to extract or wave link it, it is forcing an update. If I try to just open the component by itself, same thing. 

Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Legend
Legend
odd thing, if I open the top-level part using partial loading, then exporting to Parasolid and Step with the export journal you helped me it with loads the components fully and exports them.