Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Opening an assembly that contains parts from different folder/-s ?

Genius
Genius

When trying to import an assembly from a different project in native mode sometimes you have different components with the same names but in different folders (each one in its project folder). I would like NX to alow others methods of opening assemblies beside the current ones. For example opening components contained in each subasembly looking for them in the subassembly folder, and obviously allowing to have opened different parts with the same name. I think I could do that with other CAD softwares.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"...sometimes you have different components with the same names but in different folders..."

This is extremely bad practice from a documentation/file management point of view (no matter what CAD software you use).

Genius
Genius

We usually had a folder for each project and inside it, we created subfolders, one for CAD, other for pictures, other for calculations... we find this aproach quite logical and I have seen this system in other companies too. I have allways worked for small companies, and probably big companies dont work this way, but all companies start by being small companies so if a CAD system want to success in market may handle small companies needs too, because once they have choosed another CAD system, it is not likely they are going to change (as we did, hehe, but there were other reasons involved).

Standard parts and similar components files where stored in a common directory.

So engineers when designing and creating CAD components they decided how to name the file. They may have named the files following a numbering rule so avoiding repeating a file name already used in other project, but it would have implied more work and it wasnt a problem working with SolidEdge for example.

When an assembly from an older project where needed to be used in a new project, depending on the case, we copied the assembly to subfolder inside the CAD folder of the new project, or if no changes where needed directly added the old assembly to the new assembly without copying files.

I agree with you that using the same name is not a good practice, in fact in order to improve our data management we migrated to TC a year ago, so among other things each component has a different ID number now. But we need to still handle legacy data which is stored in windows folders and we face this problem.