Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordinate dimension datum symbol - it's gone oval!

Builder
Builder

Haven't seen this before - one of the users put down an ordinate dimension (something we do a lot), and the datum symbol is oval instead of round.  I can't see a way to modify the shape / aspect ratio in the settings dialogue.  For now he has hidden the symbol and placed a user-defined symbol in it's place, but this is non-associative and a rather nasty work-around.

Any ideas?

NX9.0.3 MP06, MP06+hotfix (evaluating NX9.0.3 MP09) | TCUA9.1.2.8
Everything from Z800 12Gb RAM FX4800 to Z820 128Gb RAM Quadro K5000 to Z440 32Gb RAM Quadro K4200
7 REPLIES

Re: Ordinate dimension datum symbol - it's gone oval!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Could you post a picture of what you are seeing?

Builder
Builder

Here it is;

oval_CTR.PNG

Everything from Z800 12Gb RAM FX4800 to Z820 128Gb RAM Quadro K5000 to Z440 32Gb RAM Quadro K4200

Siemens Phenom

All we can come up with is this:

Builder
Builder

That's what we've used as the work-around.  Our default user-defined datum symbol has matching length and height settings and an aspect ratio of 1 if you select the alternative method of defining the symbol size.  However, as far as I can tell, you can't see / adjust any of those settings when laying an ordinate dimension.

Siemens Phenom

Time to dig deeper.

1.When did this begin occuring?  Did any updates get installed, etc?

2. Is it just this user?

3. Is it just this machine?

4. If you copy the ug_default.sbf file (or whatever symbol file you use) from another machine, does the issue   still exist?

Obviously, if it used to work as expected, and now it doesn't, something has changed on the machine.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Have you tried resetting the dialogs? As there are a couple of dialogs that are used to get the datum symbol to be used for the ordinate dimension, I would suggest resetting the Ordinate Dimension dialog and the Text dialog (where the DATUM User Defined Symbol is inserted). To reset a dialog, select the curly arrow icon on the top right of the dialog.

While you can enter in an aspect ratio, prior to inserting the user defined symbol when used as the origin symbol for an ordinate dimension (expand Settings under the Insert Symbol icon on the Text dialog), the ratio is not applied (unlike if you were to use the Note command).  My guess is that the dialog memory is messed up in one of these dialogs and the aspect ratio is somehow being applied from a previous command (such as the Note command).

Regards, Ben

Builder
Builder

Oddly, the same user on the same workstation is able to apply a normal ordinate symbol to another drawing, so it would seem to be part-specific.

Given that it's only happened once, and we have a work-around, I'm inclined to put this one down to experience.

Thanks for your replies.