Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orienting "2D cone"-like pieces ?

Genius
Genius

Hello

In Drafting how to orient "2D cone"-like pieces ? (It is sheet metal part)

• What to select and how "specify vector: Normal and x-direction" to get below results.
  • I can only do photo(2.) kind of orienting.

orient.jpg

asasffaf.jpg

5 REPLIES

Re: Orienting "2D cone"-like pieces ?

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

The only way I could think of to do this would be to add some help geometry in the model (if you have a closed cone) I created a section curve, then in the view creation wizard, on Orientation select "Custom Orientation" you then get the Orient View tool which allows you to select the line as the X axis, and the normal coming out from the cone as the view vector.view_orient.jpg

cone.jpgSo you should then get the orientation you want.

Somebody brighter than me may explain how you can do it without the section curve, but I couldn't see how on a closed cone to get the points you need for the X-Axis

Paul

Phenom
Phenom

In the Custom Orientation dialog change the Specify Vector to use 2 points:

TwoPointsOrientation.png

Then pick the centre points of the top and bottom arcs of the cone (presuming you have a proper revolved cone shape).

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.2 MP1]

Genius
Genius

It won't work in my case.

I have a 2D-drafting sheet metal part (photo below) that Base View needs to be pendicular 90* with the bend lines. [Aligning sheet metal's flat-pattern pendicular 90* to its bend lines]

shme46.jpg

sffs5353.jpg

Phenom
Phenom

In that case I can only reiterate Paul's suggestion of adding some help geometry and selecting that.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.2 MP1]

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When creating the flat pattern in sheet metal, select one of the bend lines as the orientation

2017-03-30 10_33_17-NX 11.0.1.11 - Sheet Metal - [sheet_metal_model4.prt (Modified) ].jpg

Now go to Drafting and create the view.  On the orientation page, select the flat pattern and then Customized view.  Focus on the X Direction and select the Y axis

2017-03-30 10_35_52-NX 11.0.1.11 - Drafting - [sheet_metal_model4.prt (Modified) ].jpg

The view is then oriented as required

2017-03-30 10_37_16-NX 11.0.1.11 - Drafting - [sheet_metal_model4.prt (Modified) ].jpg

I hope this solves the problem?

thanks

Dave