Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcostraint in sketch and assembly

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I remember that there was a solutor into NX that starts on overcontraint sketch. Anyway, there are CAD, like SolidWorks, that on overcontraint sketch, start a resolutor to aid user to obtain a solution to remove a contraint that create the problem. On NX, how can I obtain by NX an help to find the solution ?

The same situation on assembly contraint.

The problem is often when I make support to collegues that have those problems.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

3 REPLIES

Re: Overcostraint in sketch and assembly

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There is no such tool in NX. NX shows which curves are not solving by changing their color to gray. The constraints, dimensions and vertices that are involved in the problem are colored in red. Using the default colors to describe it here.

In many cases there are several solutions to the problem. some of them are not obvious but still correct.

The easiest one is undo and reevaluate what you were about to do. If the change that you made is really what you want then you should look into the other constraints and dimensions. I would expect most users to understand what they are doing. So just looking at what they are doing should lead to finding where the problem is.

If the user does not understand the problem then he is stuck in 'Las Vegas' mode... The only thing you can do hope, pray and guess... He can is delete the red constraints one by one, see if the solution is what he wants and if not, then undo an try the next red constraint or dimension. This is what a resoluter tool would do as well.

The sketch relation browser can help here. You can sort the constraints and dimensions on status and then try deleting any of the red ones in order to see if it fixes the problem. You can undo to get back and try the next one. 

Note, sometimes it is required to delete two constraints/dims to get the desired result.

For assembly constraint the situation is the same. For those you would use the constraint navigator pane and:

1. select a constraint

2. suppress, evaluate the solution

3. undo if it was not the right solution

In the assembly constraint browser you also have a column that indicates direction to fixed. This allows you to see whether a constraint is used to position the component or if it is used to position a component on top of the one component you are looking at. 

Additionally for assembly constraints there is a creation date column that can be used to replay the 'time stamp'of the constraints. Especially when you did not create the assembly it might be good to see what the history of the constraints is. Suppressing constraints from the latest to the earlier ones often reveals the intent of the user and allows you to roll back to a state where everything is still in a correct state. This allows you to find the 'first' constraint that is causing a problem.

Regards, **bleep**

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

this is what I do, but I asked to have the confirmation of my 'modus operandi', because when my colleagues call me, I need to give to them a rapid solution on NX.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Phenom
Phenom

In these applications, NX is still a baby. Needs lots of developments for maturity. Since there are many other ways, options and workarounds in NX, demand for those efficient and effective tools (found in other software) must be very low or unknown to developers and users.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW