Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PANTONE or RAL color

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I would like to set the color in the part with a Pantone color. It's possible ?

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

7 REPLIES

Re: Pantone color

First, you need to convert the pantone color to RGB. Then I would search the system color palette file (ugcolor.cdf) for a match.

If you don't find it, I would make a copy of the system palette, and add your own custom color. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
An NX color definition file can only contain 216 entries. So, there's not much chance that your current CDF will include the Pantone color you want to use.

If there are just a few Pantone colors that you need, then it would be reasonable to define a custom CDF that includes them.
山田
yamada

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Yamada,

of 216 entities, most are unnecessary.

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom

> of 216 entities, most are unnecessary.

OK, so pick some of the 216 that you don't like, and replace them with Pantone colors in a new CDF.

You still might have some problems ... getting Pantone colors to appear correctly on a monitor or a printer is not easy. You have to go through all kinds of calibration fiddling. Just because you have the RBG values correct doesn't mean the color will look correct. If your monitor or printer is not very good, the colors will never come out quite right.

山田
yamada

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Yamada,

RGB number is from 0 to 255. Opening ugcolor.cdf color number are Yellow 1.0000000 0.9411765 0.4941176, very different from RGB standard.

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom

It's not very different. It's just a scale difference. Pantone RGB values are between 0 and 255, NX RGB values are between 0 and 1. So, white is (255, 255,255) in Pantone, I suppose, and it's (1.0,1.0,1.0) in NX.

山田
yamada

Genius
Genius

In the "CDF" file you find the 5 columns

Color Name           Red   Green    Blue   Favorite location

The Red, Green, Blue values are basically your value from 0 to 255 divided by 255

So an RGB value of 203 230 200, in the cdf file will be  0.7960784 0.9019608 0.7843137

The Favorite location column information goes from 0 to 59

IF you go to File >> All Preferences >> Color Palette...

and expand the "Options" Section, there's the Information Icon (at the bottom right) that will print the info of the colors in RGB values to the Information Window. The Favorite location info in not printed here.

HTH