Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMI Change Management

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello everyone.

I have been introducing PMI at my company for thelast coupleof  years.

One of the main topics that I am facing is how to document a change when using only  3D model with no drawing. With a drawing we put change triangles on the drawing and this quickly denotes where the change happened.

Without the drawing if a feature is removed for example, how do you show this?

Do you use viewers and show differences between the models? maybe JT comparison?  do you change the PMI dim color, put them on different layers, copy to a change view? Etc.

These are the types of questions I am looking for.

I am looking for information on how other companies are handling this.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Bryan

2 REPLIES

Re: PMI Change Management

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I talked to a couple people at PLMworld last year about this very topic.

The best (but not very good) answer was "take screen dumps of before & after, with enough of the model to show context, and annotate the screen dump". 

By "show context", I mean show enough of the model so it is possible to understand exactly which dimension is added/deleted/changed.

This is a pretty tedious manual procedure if the part is complex.  And especially if there are multiple identical dimensions (if you have 6 different places a 1" dimension is called out, and one changes...)

At one point I was looking at BCT Inspector (BCT is a Siemens partner) and I believe it had the capability to report changes in PMI (as well as changes in drawings), but I'm not sure if/how they handle the case of "which of the multiple identical dimensions was changed".  (http://www.bct-technology.com/)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Re: PMI Change Management

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Bryan_Root wrote:

Hello everyone.

I have been introducing PMI at my company for thelast coupleof  years.

One of the main topics that I am facing is how to document a change when using only  3D model with no drawing. With a drawing we put change triangles on the drawing and this quickly denotes where the change happened.

Without the drawing if a feature is removed for example, how do you show this?

Do you use viewers and show differences between the models? maybe JT comparison?  do you change the PMI dim color, put them on different layers, copy to a change view? Etc.

These are the types of questions I am looking for.

I am looking for information on how other companies are handling this.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Bryan

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-PMI-MBD/PMI-Change-Management/gpm-p/393207#M168

Very active response to this topic in NX PMI MBD group.

Regards,
Ganesh