Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMI Ordinate Dimensions

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all

Fist let me say I am new to the forum and brand new to PMI, I apologize in advance for my ignorance.  With that, lets jump right in.  I am trying to to put in a PMI Ordinate dimension on a shaft component.  

I click on PMI Ordinate Dimension

The menu pops up

I click on the point where I want 0,0 to go

The "axis" are not alligned with the part

I do not see a way to orientate the way I want. (red arrow in picture)

Any help or information is greatly appreciated

7 REPLIES

Re: PMI Ordinate Dimensions

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

It sounds like you just need to redefine your annotation plane.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ben - I hope it is that easy but I don't see where you change the annotation plane for Ordinate dimensions.  It is planely marked for notes, datums, etc.  but I don't see it for Ordinate Dimensions.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

By the way, welcome to the Forum!!

Open your Part Navigator, expand the Model Views node and double click the view (to make it the work view) that best represents the annotation plane for your ordination dimension PMI.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@MeyerS wrote:

Hello all

Fist let me say I am new to the forum and brand new to PMI, I apologize in advance for my ignorance.  With that, lets jump right in.  I am trying to to put in a PMI Ordinate dimension on a shaft component.  

I click on PMI Ordinate Dimension

The menu pops up

I click on the point where I want 0,0 to go

The "axis" are not alligned with the part

I do not see a way to orientate the way I want. (red arrow in picture)

Any help or information is greatly appreciated

You can orient WCS (Menu > Format > WCS > Orient) so that Y axis of WCS coincides with Z axis (red arrow) of aboslute CSYS in your case.

pmi.PNG

Experimenter
Experimenter
Ben

Looks good now, thanks.

Scott

Experimenter
Experimenter
This may be steering this particular forum in another direction, but is there a way to ordinate dimension to surfaces or only get the X vector of a dimension?

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Ordinate Dimensions do not support face selection, so there's no way to do that.  However, there are controls in the main dialog in the Baseline group to control which axis are used.  If they are both on then you get dimensions in both the baseline and perpendicular direction.  Just one toggle on means that dimensions will only be created for that direction.

ord_baseline.jpg

You can also control the active baselines on the ordinate origin vector handles in the graphics area.  Blue vectors are active, gold are not.

ord_baseline_handles.jpg