Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROBLEM WITH FONT TTF

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I´m having problems to use a code-bar font in ttf format.

Please find attached font type. I just want to know if its possible to use them in drafting notes. I can select the font tpe but not code-bar appears, just "rectangles". I suppose NX cant read this font, but dont know why.

Thanks in advance,

MR

4 REPLIES

Re: PROBLEM WITH FONT TTF

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yea, I can't get it to work either with NX but it's a good font as I tested it in a Word document.

That being said, we do have an old UG/NX font for creating 'barcode' notes that still works today (I just tested this with NX 10.0.2.2).  You should already have a copy of it as I just checked and it's part of the UGFonts that are included with a normal install.  The font is simply called 'Barcode' but you must set Customer Defaults so that you can access them.  I think the out-of-the-box install has only the Windows Font as the default, but in Customer Defaults you can set it so that BOTH the Windows and the UG/NX fonts are available.

Just got to...

Customer Defaults -> Drafting -> General/Setup -> Miscellaneous

...and you'll see an option where you can set the 'Fonts to Use' to 'Standard and NX Fonts'.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks John,

I do have "barcode" type font. I will use this type due to tff does not work.

I just wonder why it doesnt... (or if it was me doing something wrong)

Never mind,  thanks again!!

MR

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

OK, I think I've discovered the problem with that barcode font that wouldn't work with NX.  While I don't know this for sure, it's very likely that the TrueType font file did NOT use what's called 'Unicode mapping'.  This is required for NX to be able to read the contents of a TrueType or OpenType font files.  Now the vast majority of font files do include this mapping scheme but some earlier TrueType fonts did not and we suspect that this was the case with the font you were attempting to use.

That being said, I did find another free TryeType font for Code 39 barcodes that DOES work with NX if you'd like to use it instead of the UG/NX font I suggested since that does not support filled characters so if you're going plot or even publish it in a PDF you might not get the final results that you wish.  Anyway, here's the link to where you can download this usable barcode font:

http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/

Let me know if this is closer to what you were looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you so much John.

These fonts works absolutely perfect!

You are the best.

MR