cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parabolic Fillet in NX 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I need help in knowing, how to do a parabolic fillet or also truncated fillet using NX 10.0. Kindly help me with the procedure.

I received a STEP file recently and also in the 2D draft it was mentioned like that. I don't know how to incorporate such radius in my modeling. I have attached some pictures for understanding them.

2D dimensions I received2D dimensions I received3D STEP File that I received3D STEP File that I received

Thanks,

Rajasekar D

[drajasekar.raju@gmail.com]

11 REPLIES

Re: Parabolic Fillet in NX 10

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Rajasekar

I moved your question to the NX Design Forum, as you are much more likely to get a fast response here. 

Thanks, 

Amy 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Have a look at the face blend command; it will allow you to create an asymmetric conic section.

Genius
Genius
To add to cowski's response,

You need to figure out if the radius is tangent on both sides or not. Just because it's not equally offset from the adjacent faces equally doesn't mean it's truncated. A truncated radius is cut off and only tangent on the side which is not cut off (think of a casting with a full radius and a certain amount of stock is machined away - the result would be truncated with some of the radius removed after the machining). I would expect a parabolic radius to be tangent on both sides.
-Tim

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Tim,

Yeah you are right, the fillet will not be tangent to both the edges in the case of a truncated fillet.

But what I require to achieve is actually a truncated fillet which starts tangentially to one end and ends at particular distance from the edge the radius started.

For example, Refer the below image in which the radius starts tangentially to the vertical edge where as ends at 10mm from the vertical edge which makes it not tangential to the horizontal edge.

I wanted to know how to achieve this in 3D. Hope I'm clear.

For ExampleFor Example

Thanks,

Rajasekar D 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yeah i'll take a look at it once.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius
The Blend is not fully defined per this description. "Truncated" can mean any angular deviation from tangent.
If tangential is = 0 degrees, then truncated is "any" value but not 0.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Rajasekar wrote:

Hello Tim,

Yeah you are right, the fillet will not be tangent to both the edges in the case of a truncated fillet.

But what I require to achieve is actually a truncated fillet which starts tangentially to one end and ends at particular distance from the edge the radius started.

For example, Refer the below image in which the radius starts tangentially to the vertical edge where as ends at 10mm from the vertical edge which makes it not tangential to the horizontal edge.

I wanted to know how to achieve this in 3D. Hope I'm clear.

For ExampleFor Example

Thanks,

Rajasekar D 

The Face Blend will give you the control of both side of the fillet.

You can use the Shape - Tangent Asymmetric option where you can specify the distances in both side and also control the blend with curves (width limits)

Beppe G
Siemens PLM Italy

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you Beppe G.
That did work.

Genius
Genius

I believe I misunderstood your original question(s).  You want to know how to create 2 completely different blends, correct? The "or" threw me for a loop - sorry.

Yes, a Face Blend can do both an Asymmetric Round or Conic blend (as already pointed out) and you can also convince it to truncate using Coincident Curve, which I rarely use and forgot it was an option in the Face Blend dialog.

See the attached file from NX9 for a very simplified example of one way to achieve this (truncation is 10mm offset from vertical face with an 11mm radius). There will be more than one method that works to get the Coincident Curve.

-Tim