Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Threads same part

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

in NX what if u want to have 2 diferent threads on the same part ?

imagine in a SHCS of HASCO i want to insert a thread on the clearance with the above metric of the thread inserted

how can i define the 2nd thread ? because if i just insert the face property it will appear with the same thread as the shcs

W10 - NX 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - MW - Journaling || vegetagaru @ engtips
19 REPLIES

Re: Parametric Threads same part

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi RomeauJanuario,

I assume that you want to define both the actual screw and hole in one part to use it as a standard part and then use the tool solid for the hole with the clearance thread data to subtract from the actual design in an assebly environment since you want both thread definitions in one part!?

If so you need to first design/define the screw and add the threads with the required thread data to it. Secondly you need to define the tool solid for the hole and then add the requred tread data to it. Finally you need to define reference sets in the part where one contains the final geometry (the screw) add the other contain the tool solid with threads (hole). When added to the assembly you can now by using reference set, represent either the hole geometry or the actual screw.

I hope I got your problem correct.

Best Regards

Fred

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

i dont know if i quite understood you

but what i want is:

on the Hasco SHCS (see attachment) i want to define another "MW_HOLE_THREAD" (on that purple face)

but as the SHCS already have a "screw_dia" "tap_drill_dia" and "thread_pitch" how can i define this values for this 2nd thread ?

Siemens Phenom

Hi RomeauJanuario,

Not sure to that I understand the issue properly. I do understand that the standardpart that you have is already predifned with the thread data given by the supplier. You want to define yet another thread ontop of the already defined tread. Why do you want the second thread defined - what are you going to use it for/downstream purpose?

Best Regards

Fred

Phenom
Phenom

I don’t know why these NX's MW/PDW fasteners are still using obsolete/outdated Hole method. In Drafting these threads, C/B holes are not identified by Radial Dimension> Hole Callout.

Only workaround is using Hole tables, but it’s a mess and not accepted by many companies.  

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

i can use them on the radial dim... what version of NX are you using ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

imagine that i remove the SHCS and i insert and eyebolt(of the above metric) for transportation purposes..

Phenom
Phenom

Radial Dimensions Radial Dimension> Hole Callout don’t dimension PDW made C/B holes; very rarely they pick the threads (unpredictable).

For NX knowledgebase, I made 15 series presentation to demonstrate NX’s Hole creation methods with their cons and pros. Since it was showing some NX limitations, they were removed by the forum administer.

Watch the attached movie (14TH OF15). (Hoping to upload them to YouTube one day)  If you are intrested I could upload few more clips. 

Unable to play video. Please try again later.
(view in My Videos)

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Siemens Phenom

Hi RomeauJanuario,

So the additional thread data you try to add to the screw is actually thread data intended for the counter part (hole) in the clearance area of the screw, and treaded area is intended for a different standard part eg eyebolt for transportation? Shouldn't this thread reside on the counterpart and not on the actual screw?

Best Regards

Fred

Siemens Phenom
Hi Michael,

You seem to have some improvements stored up. May I suggest that you please file an ER (or several if necessary) with GTAC so that your issues are properly handled.

Best Regards
Fred