Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parasolid Export of an Assembly

Creator
Creator

We are using 7.5 and I would like to export a parasolid from a multilevel assembly and keep the multilevel structure.  When I try, all of the components are flattened into one level.

I see that a parasolid from Solid Edge keeps the levels so...  there must be a way.

14 REPLIES

Re: Parasolid Export of an Assembly

PLM World Member Experimenter PLM World Member Experimenter
PLM World Member Experimenter

The flattening happens during the import process. If you start a new prt file, then import the parasolid, you will end up with a bunch of bodies in a single part file. However, if you open the parasolid file directly (File -> open, change filter to parasolid), the assembly structure will be preserved.

Creator
Creator

Hello, thanks for responding.  I am not seeing the results you describe.

I opened a simple multilevel assembly with 59 top level components.  Did File > Export > Parasolid.  Here is a portion of a ANT.

nx_out.gif

When I use file open and set the file type to .x_t

I do get components (210 of them) but they are all on one level. 

open_nx.gif

There is still something I am missing if this works for you.  Thanks for your input.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There is no way to currently export an NX Assembly to Parasolid and preserve the actual assembly structure and certainly not multi-level Assemblies.  Even Assemblies with only a single level does not always get created and then opened with what was the original structure since it does not recognize that Components used more then once, as they will be created as different Components, not the same Component with multiple occurences.  All that happening in cowski's approach is that each BODY in the original Parasolid file is being opened in it's own part file and so it comes out LOOKING like an Assembly but in reality that's just a coincidence and will result in what you wanted in only a few rare instances.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator

Thnaks John!  What you describe is exacly what I am seeing.  I just wanted to make certain that I was not missing something.

One of our sister companies gave me a parasolid from Solid Edge and it did have the assembly structure embeded.  I was hoping that since we use the same kernel, there would be a way to get those results in NX.

Thanks to all who read and considered my question.  I am content.

Al Kraus

PLM World Member Experimenter PLM World Member Experimenter
PLM World Member Experimenter

My apologies for the incorrect info.

I work with a lot of small assemblies and as John states the process I described did seem to preserve my "assembly structure".

Creator
Creator

Not a problem.  I appreciate your assistance.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Al,

One thing that sprang to mind here of course was if your sister company gives you the Solid Edge Assembly instead of Parasolid, you can open that directly in NX, just change the filter to .asm

I know that sometimes it's not easy to get original CAD data (even from sister companies) but if you can there are some other benefits of opening the Solid Edge files instead of Parasolid in terms of richness of data.

Regards

Paul

Creator
Creator

Thanks Paul,

Can you give an example of "richness of data"?  I have opened the file in native NX and looked it over.

Al

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

If you use any “symbolic threads” for example, they will be missing via the Parasolid route because they aren’t really part of the solid model.  So any threaded holes etc. you will just see as a plain hole.

Also using interoperability route we keep a tag on the geometry, what this means is if you do anything with NX on the file, let’s say you create a toolpath on it in CAM or create a WAVE link to a face on a model to design another component, if the original Solid Edge file is updated that update can flow through into NX.

Hope this helps

Paul