Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parasolid NX Assembly Structure Export (Poll)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I’m hoping I might get a poll from folks on this forum on the idea of Parasolid exports containing assembly structure. Siemens really only measures NX needs/wants based on IR generation, so the wants of NX users is probably not effectively captured if only IR’s are looked at. 

Currently NX is the only major CAD tool that does not provide Parasolid exports with an assembly structure (flat file formats only).
Creo, Solidworks, CATIA, SpaceClaim, and even Siemen’s SolidEdge all provide Parasolid export with the option to include the assembly structure.

Who here would like to have NX also provide this Parasolid functionality (Parasolid with Assembly structure)?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES

Re: Parasolid NX Assembly Structure Export (Poll)

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

@Corey1776,

Is your problem related to sending data to another system or simply bringing the data back into NX as an assembly instead of unparamaterized solids in one file?

If it's the latter, whether or not you get each solid as a separate component depends on how you read the Parasolid file into NX. If you use file->import->parasolid, then you will get a bunch of unparameterized solids in one part. However, if you open the parasolid file directly (file->open) then NX will create an assembly. See an example movie below:

(view in My Videos)

Regards,
Abe

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Abe,

No, it's the former. I want to export an assembly from NX as a parasolid with the assembly structure, so other CAD tools get the geometry and the structure. All the other major CAD tools do it and accept it.
So when a customer or supplier needs that format I'm out of luck.

Thanks!

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

While it is true that NX will create an assembly if you use file -> open, the structure may not match what you expect. If your assembly makes use of subassemblies, that information is lost and NX flattens your assembly to be one level deep.

Edit: the comment above applies to a "round-trip" of the data (exporting from NX then importing to NX). It is good to see that NX honors the structure exported from SW in the example below.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That would depend on what software created the outputted parasolid.

For example Creo, Solidworks, and SolidEdge all output parasolids with the structure included.

Here's an example using Solidworks:

Note the highlighted structure on the left...

Solidworks.png

Then the parasolid file imported into NX:

NXImport.png

The resulting structure on the left is the same from Solidworks and contains the expected several levels of assembly structure:

NXStructure.png

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

I will forward this to the Product Manager. Hopefully he can do something about it.

Regards,
Abe

Pioneer
Pioneer

This Post has to be edited: NX is not able to re-read the assembly structure in NX exported parasolid. Please check your information

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
You're correct because NX does not export a structure within a Parasolid it only exports body geometry, so there isn't anything to import in regards to the structure.
That was hope of this post was asking the NX community if there was actual interest in NX having this ability to be able to EXport assembly structure via Parasolid just as Creo, Solidworks, SolidEdge, and CATIA does.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It looks like someone following this thread submitted Enhancement Requst (ER) 9135645: "Parasolid export does not include the option to maintain assembly structure."  The ER is in the hands of the Product Manager.  I suspect it may be linked to 'master' ER 7376343 which requests the same functionality (and already has several duplicate ERs linked to it).

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've been told by folks associated with the Product manager there is not enough interest (i.e. not enough ER's) in investing in re-doing Parasolid exports for NX to include structure. They tell me to utilize JT exports since they are better. While that may be the case, I can't force (but have suggested to make my life easier) customers or suppliers to purchase other licenses for using other formats.

I understand by making Parasolids another option it reduces the market for JT, which is the primary reason they won't spend the time or money to change this. Also I understand that JT has much more versatility, so they would rather focus on that format.

As you said there are several ER's including my continuous ranting and the reasons for this post along with several other forums, was to see beyond the GTAC submittal process if there was any large interest in having NX match the rest of the major CAD world and provide Parasolid Exports with Assembly Structures. At this time I guess I won't hold my breath since the official word given to me was this:
" Technically we could do this, but currently we have no plans to do this because of 2 issues:

• Parasolid assembly definition and NX assemblies are not the same – it is extra work that includes the potential for translation issues for assembly structure
  • JT is a better solution that includes both the assembly, geometry and PMI"