Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Part 2) Suggestions on the current design (Swept Volume)

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

My old post: CLICK HERE

Greetings everyone!

I'm following this new method & trying to get my design done. This includes the use of Swept Volume command.

I'll highlight the steps below, just so that you guys can get the idea (can't upload the part file for this one, sorry).

- Creating the base surface, the tool, and sketch (can be an alphabet/number/symbol, etc.)

- Using thicken command on the base surface.

- Extracting the thich body multiple no of times (this, according to me, is needed to bypass the error popping up for me while using swept volume.)

- Projecting the sketch of the section on the bottom surface (offset face)

- Using Swept Volume to sweep the tool along two paths (I have fillet in the sketch, which is why it needs the swept volume twice, but the problem is swept volume can't sweep the tool on the body created earlier in the first pass of swept volume. This might be a little confusing. let me make it more simple. After the first pass of Swept Volume, I get a section engrave of the solid body like this.

L1.JPG

I have hidden other features just to make it clear. Now Swept volume just doesn't work for the same tool and same body but different path (fillet). So I extract the solid body to get a fresh new solid. I do the second pass of swept volume on that one.

L2.JPG

- Finally I intersect both the bodies.

L3.JPG

You can see that there is some unwanted solid portion left in between. I have tried doing multiple things like Extacting a surface out of the section, trimming, trim & extend, patch, extruded cut, delete face, replace face.

There should be some command in NX to just remove this measly useless section (just kidding, every solid portion created in NX is useful).

By the way, the design looks like this.View.JPG

Anyways, now that I have explained everything, I will leave this for you guys to solve.

Help me out.

Regards

Paras Raina

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
9 REPLIES

Re: (Part 2) Suggestions on the current design (Swept Volume)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Paras,

Sorry, I do not have time to go thru your complete post.

Could you attach your model and let me know what is required ?

-Santhosh

Solution Partner Genius

Hey @SanthoshInd

I can't attach the model, which is exactly why I have written such a detailed post.

Sorry, you will have to go through it.

To summarize, I just want to remove the section created in between those two swept volumes.

Thanks

Paras

Paras Raina

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao

Try the General Pocket command

gen_pock.png

Phenom
Phenom

@Paras_R; I presume you are trying to emulate 5 axis milling path. Am I correct?

FYI: You could cut-off rest of the part and then by using “Remove Parameters”; create a dumb portion of that part. If you provide this, I think it will be much faster for you to get an answer without reveling your product.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

your curves are there just use extrude and cut those sharp edges out, or extrude and unite. (Depending on which side of the solid you do this on.  Before it is cut or after the paths are cut)  

Also you could try to use delete face using the synchronous tool modeling, I tried doing this on the other part but it did not work out to well.  

Gears Phenom

With thinking about it a bit more extrude may not work.  But you may be able to use the curves, divide the faces with those curces, use delete face with the heal turned off.  Then use "fill surface" command to fill in the open area.  Could be another solution.

Gears Phenom

This is in NX 12..  Just a thought how to project curves, delete body with heal turned off, and fill surface.

If you do not have NX12 I will try to do this Monday in NX11 if you want.  

Just a suggestion.

Thanks

Solution Partner Genius

Sorry for the late response. I was very busy this weekend.

@CesareCan you share some more details & specifics? That looks very useful to me. That's one of the commands which I haven't tried uptill now. If you could share with me the steps, it will very nice. Thanks.

@mike_fdoIt's for 3 axis. Removing parameters still gives out the solid portion (just like the parasolid files?).

@sdetersI have tried extrude, delete face, & fill surface, but unfortuately the swept volume creates a bit too complex section in between for those commands to work properly. Maybe I'm not doing it the right way but as far as I can see, it doesn't work. About the project curves, deleting the body with heal off and filling the surface back in, I did try turning off the heal as well, but it didn't work out.

Thanks

Paras

Paras Raina

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @Paras_R,

I attach a file with a simple General Pocket on the left. You can have fun  :-) !! to changing the parameter and seeing how it changes.

On the right there is a similar 'handmade' shape.

I used a lot this command to make some deep drawing.

Ciao

GenPock.png