Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Families and Drawings

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

We are trying to determine the best way of managing drawings for part family templates with Tc integration. In an ideal world, we would create a tabulated drawing at the template level and should be able to pull the table on the face of the drawing from the spreadsheet. In addition, we should be able to relate the drawing (PDF) to each family member automatically.

 

Is this possible? Does anyone have any experience or best practices on how to handle this scenario?

6 REPLIES

Re: Part Families and Drawings

Genius
Genius

In a TC environment, all children can be found under the parent part.

partfamily.PNG

This means your drawing should only be referenced in the item revision of your parent part and nowhere else.

Normally, children don't have any other datasets except the 3D model.

 

Best practice is to show dimensions on the drawing as parametric values and display these values in a table.

table.PNG

You could also covert the view into a snapshot so it doesn't load any 3D data, when opening it to make changes like adding new parts to the list, saving overall load times.

Re: Part Families and Drawings

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @guh1fc

 

The table drawing is a classic way to do it, then you do not have to maintain tons of single drawings.

However it is possible to do this.

Another way is in the drawing of the mother model is to import views from other children and dimension the areas that are of interested.

Page one would show 80% of dimensions of the part and the other pages show the children and the rest 20% of dimensions are shown. At the end there is one drawing file and you can maintain all children or specific children in the drawing. And if you change the children, then the views will also be associative and will change with.

 

How does that sound?

 

Cheers

Philip

Re: Part Families and Drawings

Experimenter
Experimenter

Does anyone on this thread have a way to handle the parts lists on that "master" drawing.  We work in a TC environment.  In order to have the parts list populate would we need to add via assemblies all the children of the part so they would be listed in the master parts list?

Re: Part Families and Drawings

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Something like this?

 

Displaying a Part Family Table on a Master Model Drawing

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Re: Part Families and Drawings

Experimenter
Experimenter

David:

Yes, thank you for the link.  I went ahead and added it and it works as described.  Has there been any discussion on simply adding the children parts to the drawing and managing them thru layers?  This way I also get the benifit of the children showing in my "parts list" that is a template.  Some of the items that are generated from the Part Family Spreadsheet are not what would be shown in our "parts list" that resides on my drawing.  I'm leary of altering the part Family spreadsheet for fear of messing up the family.

Also if the children need features described on drawings then I have the children availble to be described on the drawing that is a dataset of the template.

 

We are working in a Tc environment.  I am mostly curious if having the children in the drawing will cause any negative effects on any down stream assemblies.  I'm thinking it shouldn't.  

Re: Part Families and Drawings

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Interesting.  We have not tried that, but I'll give it some thought, because the current method as described in the link above, is a bit cumbersome, and not intuitive to our users at all.  Adding a column to our standard parts list, for a variable dimension(s), would seem to be more straight forward, than the above.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10