Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Family Excel Spreadsheet.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to modify and keep formatting on the excel spreadsheet that is created when making part families? For example, I would like to use fractions for thread variables in cell format; but, everytime I reopen to edit the spreadsheet the values are reset to decimal values.

Also, Where is the generated spreadsheet stored? Do we have a choice on where we would like it stored? Right now, I copy the data from the NX created  spreadsheed and store with my part template file.

6 REPLIES

Re: Part Family Excel Spreadsheet.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Not that I'm aware of.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

KUEI --

So, to your second question (and partly related to your first) the contents of the spreadsheet get stored as a set of data inside the NX part file, but we do not save the .xlsx spreadsheet file itself -- which is why we're not preserving your exact formulas (or formatting) when you come back in.

You really don't have a choice where the Part Family data is stored...  We're trying to keep that part simple for you by storing it inside the PRT file, right with the Family Template, so you don't have to keep track of a separate external spreadsheet file.

Does that help a bit?

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, that does help a bit in understanding the process. I can understand why you do it this way; however, in doing it this way you lose a HUGE amount of potential when it comes to the abilities of MS excel and VBA. Personally, I would prefer to have the excel portion of this kept as an external application with an internal link to NX so I can have complete control over my data. Maybe, in the future, NX will consider that as an option. 

Thank you for your help.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I know is not the same, but reusable components could work for you..

data is stored outside part in excel format, and then you link both with krx file

(of course you can´t create the parts the way you do with family parts..., but different configurations of your part are possible) what you can do with reusabe is to choice whether to clone or not (you cant do that with family)

hope  it helps

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This sounds interesting. What do you mean by "clone"?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

reusable.pngok,

family members cant be cloned, they will always be referenced

with reusable object you can choose, if you want they can be referenced, or they can be cloned. So in that case, you will be able to edit that component avoiding changing its definition in other assemblies where this component may be added. fo example, if you want to add a chamfer to a reusable (just for one time).