Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Family List Order

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I have added a couple parts in our part family.

Now when I go to choose the length, the lengths are not in order.  I add the parts in order in the excel spread sheet.    See Image

Where did I go wrong? 

Untitled.png

4 REPLIES

Re: Part Family List Order

Genius
Genius

Seems to me they are in order from smallest to biggest. What order do you want them to be in?

You could maybe set them in an user defined order if you use strings or constants instead of length expressions...

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @sdeters

I tested this and found that when you're using the KRX file with the Part Family that the order in the spreadsheet does not seem to matter.  What I was unable to do is maintain the fractional values from the spreadsheet to the dialog - it converted them to decimal.  What 'Format' did you use on the cells with the fraction values in Excel to maintain the fraction values (I used fraction) and how are you using these values in NX (i.e., to maintain the fraction values in the dialog)?  I'm wondering if the issue you have found is a string vs number issue, in that the KRX functionality is able to sort values that are numbers but not text.

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

These are exisitng Bolts from the Machinery library, from Siemens.  

I changed the format in the Excel sheet to Fractions , from text, it seems it did not make a difference in the order. after I did the save.

I would like to retain the fractional data in the dialogue box.

Thanks for the help.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

On closer inspection it looks like the LENGTH column in the spreadsheet drives the LENGTH attribute in the part family template - which is a string attribute.  I suspect that's where the problem lies, because the fractions aren't converted to their number equivalent, NX simply reads them in the order they are defined in the spreadsheet (or perhaps ordered by some other attribute or expression in the KRX), rather than order them ascendingly.  You could try replacing the LENGTH string attribute with a LENGTH number attribute (as you can't modify the Dimensionality), but as you state - you want to keep the fraction value in the dialog so perhaps that's not a solution.  Interestingly, I can't recreate this from scratch - Excel tries its hardest to convert a fraction to a decimal, unless I place quotations around the values (or define the format as Fraction), so consequently I either get numerical values in my test part (even when the cell format in Excel is set to Fraction) or the list now shows quotes around the fractions.

Regards, Ben