Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part family and arrangements

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

NX9 TC10

We have a tube, which is a part family with 10 children, the length being the difference.

This family of tubes is a component in an assembly, and there are 10 arrangements in the assembly.  One arrangement for each length.  Also in this assembly are the tube ends, which move, as the length changes.

It all works fine, but it seems time consuming to create the unique assembly constraint for each arrangement, a touch.  This touch is theoretically between the same faces, only changing in the variable length tube.  Is there some way to name the face in the part family master, so that the touch adjusts as the part family members are suppressed via arrangement?

Hope I explained this clear enough, it's confusing even to us.

-Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
5 REPLIES

Re: Part family and arrangements

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm just curious as to why you did this as a part family versus a deformable part.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If the part family is a tube whose length is controlled by an expression and the 10 parts are just the same model with 10 different lengths then the faces of the 10 part family members already have common face ID's so you should only need to create one set of constraints.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Phenom
I suppose we could have done it as a deformable part, but with the current systems in place, assigning each length a part number/work order, seemed to fit best.
-Dave

Gears Phenom

John,

That was my initial thought too, but maybe we over complicated the assembly.  Attaching a screen shot, to show the assembly structure, and Arrangements list.

Is there a better way to do this, or are we just missing something?  because when you switch arrangements, it swaps the component via suppress/unsuppressing, but the mated threaded ends didn't move.  That's why we started to add arrangment controlled mating conditions.  At that point, we started to think we were missing something.

Thanks,

Dave

AssyAndArrangements.jpg

-Dave

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Would named faces/remembered constraints be a solution here?