Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part list callout numbers in main and sub assemblies

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi guys,

When using part list on an assembly, it adds Callout attribute to component properties.

I also have sub assemblies under my main assembly which I created part list.

When I open this sub assembly and create a part list in that assembly these parts have different part numbers in it..

What I want is, when I create a part list in the top assembly, I want the Callout's to be pushed into all parts and sub assemblies, and when I create a part list under the sub assembly, I want to have the same numbers as the top assembly's numbers

Cem

4 REPLIES

Re: Part list callout numbers in main and sub assemblies

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This one is really good question and good to know the answer for me.

@cowski1 @Cesare Can you please suggest anything for it?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I don't think there is any way to do this other than API.

One problem is components that might be used in more than one top level assembly.

Case 1: Do you really want "Standard_Bolt_1" to be callout 55 in assembly_1 AND assembly_2?  What if Assembly_2 only has 15 components? 

Case 2: What if "Standard_Bolt_1" is callout 55 in Assembly_1.  "Standard_Bolt_2" is callout 55 in Assembly_2.  Now you create Assembly_3 that needs both "Standard_Bolt_1" and "Standard_Bolt_2"?

Now (if NOT in Teamcenter) you can make separate copies of "Standard_Bolt_*" for each sub assembly, but then if you later find there's a mistake (someone mis-typed a diameter or length, or forgot to set the material/density correctly, or ...) now you have to fix many different copies of the same thing.

And with many different copies, it is easy for different designers to start "playing" with the standard parts (color/layer/parameters/etc.)

While I understand the convenience factor of what you are asking, you need to "think things through" to figure out what behavior should be in cases such as the above (and others)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @CemAlpay,

While you're not going to get the functionality you're looking for interactively (I want the Callout's to be pushed into all parts and sub assemblies), there were a couple of new Customer Defaults that were added to NX10, which might help you:

Assemblies > General > Instance Attributes > Attribute Control:

Allow 'CALLOUT' as a Part Attribute [This option allows the 'CALLOUT' instance attribute to be set as a part attribute - OFF by default].

Allow 'CALLOUT' Attribute Override [This option allows the 'CALLOUT' instance attribute to be overridden on a referencing component - ON by default].

Regards, Ben

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Native NX will assign a unique value to the "CALLOUT" attribute of each unique component. You can edit the value of the component attribute or you can assign a value at the part attribute level. Part attributes are inherited as component attributes when the part is added to an assembly. Assigning a value at the part level will lead to that number being used consistently across different assemblies. The downside, as mentioned by Ken, is that you will need to manage these numbers yourself. NX will not check for or warn about duplicate numbers.

[Edit: I just saw @BenBroad's post after I posted this. I'm still working with NX 9 and was unaware of these new options in NX 10. It sounds like these new options will make it easier to assign the attributes at the part level, but I suspect NX will not check for duplicates or maintain a "master list" of component callout numbers.]

I have heard that teamcenter can manage unique callout numbers across assemblies. I have not worked in such an environment, so I do not know what it takes to set this up or maintain it.

Bottom line: if you are running native NX, I suggest you let NX manage the callout numbers; managing them yourself may cause more trouble than it is worth.