Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part navigator tree

Creator
Creator

The Part navigator tree never stays  expanded when switching between parts or when we try to find the feature from tree.

This makes its extremely hectic to find the feature in the model tree. You need to literally expand the tree everytime switching between parts. Consumes lot of time

There is also a problem when we are trying to find the feature in tree...the tree should center graph on screen  as in catiav5 - better for the end user

10 REPLIES

Re: Part navigator tree

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

What version of NX are you running?

When you say 'expanded' are you referring to the 'Model History' item in the Part Navigator?  If so, I have no problem with it NOT remaining expanded as I move from one part model to another.

Or are you talking about the Navigator pane not remaining open and visible?  If that's your issue, you can 'Pin' the navigator 'Open' so that it does not close between switching parts.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator

Hello Mr.John

Thanks for your reply

What version of NX are you running?

NX 9.0

When you say 'expanded' are you referring to the 'Model History' item in the Part Navigator?  If so, I have no problem with it NOT remaining expanded as I move from one part model to another.

This is a real problem Mr.John. I have a huge model tree ( with lot of construction data) .. and I work with multiple models.. Say I am working on model A, and refering a feature (ex.extrude) which is inside a feature group . Now i switch to model B and refer a similar element. Come back to Model A ...all is lost. ....Now i have to again select the feature(extrude) from 3D space and expand my part navigator or manually scroll the tree to find the feature .Why can't the tree remain expanded as left before...This causes series timelapse

Second issue is that the model tree does not centre graph the feature selected in 3D space. This adds up to the first problem.....

First thing NX part navigator does not remain expanded , and secondly NX does not properly centre graph the selected feature.... So this makes finding feature really time consuming

Or are you talking about the Navigator pane not remaining open and visible?  If that's your issue, you can 'Pin' the navigator 'Open' so that it does not close between switching parts.

I am aware of this option.....This is not the issue.

Siemens Phenom

I think I see what you mean.  Your complaint is not about the behavior of the Part Navigator in general but that of Feature Groups not remaining expanded, correct?

If so, I think you have a point and you should contact GTAC and open a PR since this is not consistant behavior with the rest of the Model History section of the Part Navigator.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator

Hello Mr.John

Thanks for your reply & Guidance

If so, I think you have a point and you should contact GTAC and open a PR since this is not consistant behavior with the rest of the Model History section of the Part Navigator.

How do I contact  GTAC  & PR  ( sorry I have no idea whats GTAC or a PR) , kindly help me

Thanks 

Mohan

Siemens Phenom

GTAC is Siemens PLM's Global Technical Access Center, AKA  'hot-line support'.  You can learn more about GTAC and how to get help from this link:

http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/gtac.shtml

And a PR is a 'Problem Report'.  When you call GTAC for any reason whatsoever, they first open an IR, 'Incident Report', which is record of the call and what the outcome was.  The vast majority of the calls to GTAC never get past the IR stage since the people on phones are generally able  to answer most questions.  However, when something is not working as expected, then the IR is converted into a PR and it is passed to the appropriate development group for them to fix.  Now if it turns out that the software is working exactly as it was intended, but it's still not quite what the user was expecting or looking for, the IR will be converted to an ER, 'Enhancement Request', instead, at which point the appropriate Product Manager reviews the ER and decides if it;s something that really should be adding to the software and if it is, they will decide how and when that will occur.

Anyway, it all starts with a you contacting GTAC which is covered in the link I provided above.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator

Hallo Mr.John

Thanks for the link , where-in I can create a PR

But shouldn't it be that Siemens looks at Users Problems/improvements suggested directly and improve their product.

Anyways thanks for your help

Mohan

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Mohan, 

Siemens does actually look at the user suggested improvements (ERs or Enhancement Requests as John explained above). Siemens PLM's Product Managers take those suggestions into consideration when developing the software. 

Also, GTAC is just the name of the Siemens global support team. So GTAC is Siemens

I hope this addresses your concern. Smiley Happy

Regards, 

Amy Allen 

Product Engineering Software 

Siemens PLM Software, Inc.

Community Manager, Solid Edge
Rules of Participation | Become a Guest Author
Become a Solid Edge Certified pro today!

Creator
Creator

Hello AmyAllen

Thanks for your update.

What I meant was if Siemens can take suggestions directly from this Forum ...... and not only through ER or PR.....

Thanks anyways

Mohan

Siemens Phenom

No, the PLM Community site is not an official mechanism for submitting PR's and ER's.  You must do that by contacting GTAC directly, either by phone or via the net, as explained in the link that I posted previously.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA