Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Part not loaded report

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Does UGPC.exe report the linked parts?

If not, you could compare the output of ug_inspect & UGPC

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom
no, it doesn't.
I could make a batch comparing the output of ugpc and ug_edit_part_names (there is less cluttering there).
I will have a go and post the results.

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@Maurizio,

Ug_inspect -cmod doesn't return anything related to linked parts.

Perhaps you're looking for something else, however, from my test the WAVE linked parts were listed.

The following is returned using the -cmod switch with toycar_assy that has both linked geometry from toycar_body (which is also a component of toycar_assy) and Test (not a component of toycar_assy):

Number of external references out of this directory: 594
The external references are to the following data managers / directories / files
  Data Mgr  Part Dir    File Name
  --------  --------    ---------
  RM        Record Mgr  toycar_assy.prt (found in C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\AssemblyViewer)
  CM        CMOD        toycar_body.prt (found in C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\AssemblyViewer)
  RM        Record Mgr  toycar_body.prt (found in C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\AssemblyViewer)
  CM        CMOD        Test.prt (found in D:\GTAC\Community\Model Letter T)
  RM        Record Mgr  Test.prt (found in D:\GTAC\Community\Model Letter T)

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

Ben,

in the attached example, part cono.prt contains a link to cubo.prt, yet this is not

reported in Ug_inspect -cmod output (while it is with -full option).

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Maurizio,

As stated earlier: "The ug_inspect utility also lists the parts that are WAVE linked into the assembly using the -CMOD switch."  The utility would need to be executed against all files in the assembly to determine all of the links.

In your assembly cono.prt contains the WAVE geometry, linked across assy_link_test, therefore I would not expect the utility to report the link unless it was executed explicitly on cono.prt itself.

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

so here is the batch that I have tried to list all parts linked by a given .prt  (all sorts of links, both into and across, as Ben pointed out)

@echo off

echo links in part:  %1  

ugpc %1 | sed "s/^.*\\//g" | sort > ugpc.tmp

ug_edit_part_names -list %1 | sort | join -v2  ugpc.tmp - | sed "s/^/   /g"

echo -------------

this simply lists links coming from ug_edit_part_names utility and removes components based on ugpc output (as suggested by Ken earlier).

This could be saved in a links.bat  batch file and run against a single .prt file

links H:\directory\foobar.prt

or against an entire directory tree

find H:\directory -iname *.prt  -exec links.bat \"{}\" ;

(this uses Unix commands ported to Windows, as I didn't find their Windows equivalent, except sort)

I have tried that on simple assemblies and it lists parts containing a geom. link, parts owning the linked geom. and assemblies in which the link was made, as well as parts pointed by IPEs.

Unfortunately, this also lists some sort of ghost links, I mean links which seem not to be there and cannot be cleaned up not even by running Part Cleanup several times (Cleanup turns such links to inexistent parts into links to the part itself).  So, I think the usefulness of this batch is pretty limited.

On the other hand, I don't think we are going to see the problem of reporting links be solved by other means, as this is one of the purposes of license-controlled tools (WAVE).

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"On the other hand, I don't think we are going to see the problem of reporting links be solved by other means, as this is one of the purposes of license-controlled tools (WAVE)."

I understand your sentiment ($$$), however, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for an external (command line) utility that would simply report links (component, wave, promotions, interpart expressions, etc) in an easy to use format. The purpose of the assembly module is to create and maintain assemblies, but we have utilities that will easily report components of a particular part. Having such a utility to report other links clearly would make certain system administration tasks much easier. This utility would only need to report the links, it needn't allow creation or editing of the links.