Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts list not showing any components

Genius
Genius

Hi,

I want to create a parts list/bill of materials, but when i got to place a Parts List on a drawing, it doesnt list any components. The screenshot below is just an example: I have imported a model with 344 components, some of which you can see in the assembly navigator. However, they are grouped as a single part in the Parts List.

Capture.JPG

The same error appears with other drawings, except usually it shows no parts at all.

Capture1.JPG

Something that may be significant is that all the models I have are converted from STP or IGES files. However, as they are now .prt files I wouldn't think that this would be the reason.

Can anyone help? I realise that more information may be needed; please let me know and I will tell you what I can.

Thanks,

Alex

9 REPLIES

Re: Parts list not showing any components

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
did you check the the part list levels?
right mouse click on your part list and then edit levels.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Genius
Genius

I didn't, but I have now and nothing I do there seems to make a difference; I just selected/deselected different combinations of buttons on the 'Edit Levels' toolbar. Can I confirm that the below menu is what I should be seeing?

Capture.JPG

Solution Partner Phenom
Yes you should be seeing that dialog.

How did you create the drawing file the icons in front of the assembly parts are not normal.
Did you use file->new->drafting-> select here reference existing part.
if you do this normally the part or assembly is automatic added to the drawing file.

The icons i see in your screenshot are pointing to that you have added the components after creating the drafting.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Genius
Genius

I think you are right; because my company's NX settings dont contain a template that suits my needs (and don't seem to let me add my own), I have developed my own .prt drawing file to use as a template for internal jobs; I open this and place drawing views into that.

Is there a way to add a component/assembly to work the way you have suggested when I do this? I don't want to have to use a blank sheet every time I make a drawing.

Thanks,

Alex

Solution Partner Phenom

you can use the feature Mark as Template.

This tool will also place the right settings in your pax file.

if you start then NX again it is possbile that is shows in the file new dialog

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Genius
Genius

I'm not 100% on what the PAX file is. Do I need to create one in the 'Mark as Template dialog' or do I need to select a pre-existing one?

Selecting a pre-existing PAX File just asks me if I want to overwrite, and creating a new one doesnt seem to save the PAX file when I look for it in File Explorer.

Thanks again,

Alex

Solution Partner Phenom

you can try to overwrite a existing.

Make sure that you first make a copy of the default one, so you can go back.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Genius
Genius

Ok, I will try this tomorrow,

Thanks for your help,
Alex

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It happens when you create a drawing part and add view by selecting the part/assembly which is not actually present/added in the drawing part. It will create only reference and if you switch to modeling application there will be no 3D geomtery in UI. So Parts List will not show the assembly components.

You can see the icon difference.

drg.PNG

Just add the assembly into the drawing part. Create the Parts List, it will show in the drawing sheet.

drg1.PNG