Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern Component un/suppression response

Phenom
Phenom

What is the purpose of “Pattern Component”= un/suppress capability?

After creating a pattern, if I un/suppress (un/check) the component patterns nothing is happening. I guess the corresponding patterned components should response accordingly. Is this a bug?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

17 REPLIES

Re: Pattern Component un/suppression response

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you're talking about toggleing ON/OFF the green check-box when you expand the Component Pattern in the Assembly Navigator...

NX 10.0 Component Pattern.PNG

...I'm not sure what that is really supposed to be doing.  But I'll check it out and get back to you.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks John, exactly that what my concern is!

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Suppressing the component pattern is supposed to effectively freeze the pattern; you will not be able to edit the pattern until it is unsuppressed.

NX help -> CAD -> Assemblies -> pattern component -> Assembly Navigator component pattern node options

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, that's it.  I suspect that the confusion is that 'supprssing' the Pattern does NOT 'suppress' the Components themselves.  That is by design.  If you wish to suppress the Components you will have to do so explicitly.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Phenom
Phenom

Really, Why do you want it or usage of that freezing capability? Where could you apply this function?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

I imagine it would give you control over when updates occur. If you are working on a large assembly with complicated component patterns, you may want to suppress them while you make several edits to the assembly then unsuppress the component patterns when you are finished. Otherwise the patterns may try to update after each edit, needlessly adding to the recompute time.

Phenom
Phenom

With some testing I feel this function could lead to a very chaotic situation or poorly designed.

1. Pattern (Linear)
  2. Suppress Pattern
  3. Move one component belonging to the pattern
  4. Constrain the moved component @#3 (FIX)
  5. Unsuppress
  6. Pattern updates to the new location
  7. If the seed part was constrained beforehand #5 gives an error

If you want merely #6 to happen, you could achieve it by simply moving a patterned component (unsuppressed). All the other steps are unnecessary.

What happen if you select Pattern Definition = Reference (#2-#5 always give an error)

Basically Pattern Component’s Un/Suppress capability doesn’t make any sense yet.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

cowski1 wrote:

you will not be able to edit the pattern until it is unsuppressed.

@ Cowski1:I checked Edit Pattern is available even the pattern is suppressed.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

According to the help file, you should not be able to edit the pattern count or any assembly constraints that are applied to the patterned components until the pattern is unsuppressed.

If you can edit the count or assembly constraints (for the patterned components, not the master) while the pattern is suppressed, then you should open a PR with GTAC as this contradicts the info provided in the help files.