Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patterned Component, Finding Associated Component Pattern

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Anyone know if there is a way to select a component(s) within an assembly, find out if they are placed by a Component Pattern, and then be able to select/find/identify which Component Pattern is driving those components?

This is of course because I have an assembly with over 140 component patterns.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES

Re: Patterned Component, Finding Associated Component Pattern

Phenom
Phenom

IMHO, Pattern Components is a very basic/underdeveloped tool in NX. It’s kind of good until you create the pattern and after that it doesn’t support you much. When you click the items under” Component Patterns” Group in Assembly Navigator, then it highlights the pattern components but I’m not aware of a method to find the respective Pattern by selecting a patterned component.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Pattern-Component-un-suppression-res...

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yeah I totally agree. It doesn't feel complete or streamlined at all.

As you said it highlights the grouping if you select the group in the pattern components Assembly Navigator area, which I usually find myself clicking one and holding down the arrow key to find the one I want. That is definitely one of the not so streamlined parts of the pattern component process. Smiley Happy

Thank you for the reply!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Corey1776,

I understand the need to find the pattern in order to edit it, but just out of curiosity, given that all the component instances point to the same part file, what is the reason you need to find the first component in the pattern?

Regards,
Abe

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Abe,

As you said I want to find the Component Pattern associated with any of the instances, not necessarily the first component of the pattern. However, now that you have me thinking finding also the first component would lead to finding the component that carries the assembly constraints that drove the pattern placement in the first place.

So that would be nice as well, but finding the particular Component Pattern associated with any of the instances, first or not, would be my first hope.

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom

Anyone know if there is a way to select a component(s) within an assembly, find out if they are placed by a Component Pattern

You can use 'Visual Reporting' for it.

Refer the attached video as an example.

Phenom
Phenom

As I said, since Patten Components’ editing capability is very limited; and if it’s a “ReferancePattern” I just delete it and recreate a new Patten Component as it's good only to create. By this way, fraction of the time saved could be used to fix rest of the resulted issues.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Siemens Phenom

Since no-one has mentioned it, I'll state the obvious.  Right click the component in question, choose Properties and select the Information icon (on the Assembly page):

Component Pattern
-------------------------------
Information for Pattern 1
------------------------------------------------------------
Default Name         LinearPattern
Pattern Type         Linear
Template Component   TOYCAR_BODY

The only problem is that unless you name your patterns, you're not going to get unique names for "LinearPattern".  I did get a little excited when I opened the Dependencies pane of the Assembly Navigator, selected one of the components I had patterned and clicked the arrow icon - it highlighted the other component and the component pattern in the expanded Component Patterns node.  However, trying this on subsequent patterned components did not work... you might want to open an IR with GTAC and have them look into this.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yeah I've seen the information report but as you said it isn't useful without given each and every pattern a name.

I'll write up an IR for GTAC, but chances are it'll turn into a forgotten ER shortly after that. But I'll at least get it onto someone's radar screen sometime in the next decade. :-)

Thanks!