Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patterns V Temapates

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

We have been  NX/Teamcenter users for 20+ years and have always use Patterns to control drawing sheets.

We are now on NX10, but a few versions ago, new drawing template functionality was introduced, so can someone please explain the advantages of these new functions, and should we be switching to them?

Martyn, Snr CAE Engineer, Renishaw PLC
NX10 Tc10
14 REPLIES

Re: Patterns V Temapates

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Dear Martyn,

With the new template functionalities you are able to create for example 1 drawing template en resize from there to the size you want. (For the most customers i make a A3 format, because this is the most used one)
So this will give less changes if the template is changing from design.

the titleblock is created by tabular notes, so easier to design and place text inside of the cell following the rules of the cell. (wrap, overwrite border, etc.)

everything is in 1 template file, so no separate file for pattern and template.

the only thing that I'm missing is the update function of the pattern. To quickly update your old drawing templates. (pattern contains update pattern)

this are some things that i quickly think of.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Ruud

Thanks for that.

When I require a secondary sheet, is it just case off using the "New Sheet" function, and I will be presented with a list of my standard sheets?

NX10 Tc10

Solution Partner Phenom

Martyn,

yes if you use new sheet you can get your templates there.

Only you need to change the sheet.pax file so it shows your templates.

Most of the time i make 1 template for the drawing.pax (file new) and 1 for the sheet.pax (new sheet)

this because the new sheet is in some cases a little different then the firste template.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ruud

So are you saying that you could have one pax file to cope with new, and subsequent sheets?

Our sheets whether new or additional are always the same, in what way would yours be different?

NX10 Tc10

Solution Partner Phenom

Not exact, the case is if you are using master model method or not.

In NX we use for file-> new-> Tab "drawing"  the drawing.pax file. (this is creates master-model drawing or stand alone)

If you are in drafting and use the feature "new sheet" then NX use the sheet.pax file and a new sheet is added to the drafting. (can be the first sheet but also the second one) (first one is only if you create de drawing file in the part file and not master model)

Sometimes customers want less information in the titleblock on the second sheet because all the needed information is on the fist sheet. If every sheet is on is own, so not for example sheet 2/2 then the title block will be the same as the first sheet.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The downside to patterns is if you share your NX parts with others (e.g. a customer or supplier), you will have to send the pattern files as well (and updates as needed and..., and make sure they set up UGII_PATDIR correctly)

The main downsides to the new titleblocks are:

- update mechanism (if you change the title block) is lacking (I think current best practice is to create a new sheet with the new format, move the views over, fix up anything that didn't move, delete the original sheet & fix sheet names & numbers)

- objects that are not "title block objects" (but are typically thought of a part of the  title block/border) don't move if you change sheet size.  I encounter this with the "revision" and "parts list" blocks, as (I don't think) you can add rows to them if they are included in the title block itself, so they have to remain "stand alone" tabular notes.

Others may note other issues.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Ken

We never send our native drawing files out (PDF's used), so never experience these issues, so with the issues mentioned with titleblocks, is it actually worth the effort of changing?

I know this is the latest way of working, but I dont want to change for the sake of it.

NX10 Tc10

Solution Partner Phenom

Ken,

did you try to make some objects like note or tabular notes associative with the "offset character"

You can make notes or tabular notes that are on top of the title block associative to the titleblock.

tabular note.JPGorigin tool.JPG

if you do this the note will move with the titleblock when resizing the template.

only thing here is is that you are not able to make it associative to the lines of the border because these are recreated when changing the template

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

That might work for the parts list (as it is just above the main title block, so I can use one of its lines for the position).

The revision block is in the top-right corner, so it needs to be located relative to the border lines :-(

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled