Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Patterns V Temapates

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

has anyone migrated from Patterns to Templates?

how did you deal with leagacy data, when say for instance doing a saveas of an old part to a new part.

Obviously the newly created drawing will have the old Pattern in, but I would like to use the new templates, as they have lots of nice attributes.

Martyn, Principal CAE Engineer, Renishaw PLC
NX12 Tc12

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We did this years ago when we went to NX6 (I think). Siemens had just changed its stance about patterns (no more the advised solution for title blocks) and were suggesting tables. While we did not do anything more at the time than build the templates (drawings + sheets), we used a PDM migration process to replace the old pattern-based templates with the new ones for all our dwgs. They all also got a banner added so that when the dwgswere being revised the swapping results would be anaylized and corrected as needed (mostly because we also overhauled our attributing).

I think that unless you actively do something to swap them the path of least resistence will be to leave the old ones in. (maybe add a banner on your patterns so they can't be used ? Smiley LOL )

Dan Iorga
Sulzer Pumps US

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note to create my templates, I created an API program (so if I need to make a change, I wipe out all the existing stuff & re-run the program).

In theory this method (API program) could be used to

- figure out what pattern is present

- delete the pattern

- determine all the existing notes replicated to the pattern title block (save text as needed, and delete the notes)

- create the appropriate new titleblock from scratch

- for non-automatic stuff, fill in text from saved note text

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
To change your old templates (patterns) to the new template (with tabular notes) you need to do this manually of with a script.
NX has no default tool to make the change

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

Do you see anything wrong with deleting the the old Pattern, then using Import > Part to bring in the new Template?

I have tried, and seems to work OK.

Martyn, Principal CAE Engineer, Renishaw PLC
NX12 Tc12