Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot issue: "you do not have permission to write the file"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

My coworker recently got a new computer. Now when he tries to plot or export a pdf file, he gets the message: "you do not have permission to write the file". I suspect he needs read/write permissions on a particular folder, but I don't know which one. He has read/write permission on the usual temp folders and the target folder (in the case of exporting a pdf). What other folders does NX need to access when plotting or exporting pdf's?

2 REPLIES

Re: Plot issue: "you do not have permission to write the file"

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

I wonder if NX is trying to write to the UGII folder.  Try setting the "Start in" path of the NX icon to a temp directory that the user has write access to.  In the background NX is exporting a CGM, so it might be using the UGII folder for that purpose - are there any clues in the log file?

Screenshot - 3_29_2018 , 11_10_34 AM.png

Regards, Ben

Re: Plot issue: "you do not have permission to write the file"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

We got it sorted with a little trial and error and a call to GTAC.

Some more detail in case anyone runs into a similar problem in the future:

When we set up the new computer, we copied over the user settings and history.pax to keep the same NX layout. The standard image that IT uses for new computers was out of date (it didn't include the printer group folder), so the first time he tried to print, it returned a message about no plotter configured. That's when we copied the printer group folder from his old comp to the new one and made sure the UGII_SDI_SERVER_CFG_DIR pointed to it. The next time he tried to plot we got the "no permission" error message. Upon closer inspection, it was trying to write to a location on the old computer (seems like the message should have said "no such folder", but I digress). We set up the JOBS_DIR and OVERRIDE_HOME variables, reset the plot dialog and then it worked as expected. I suspect that the dialog memory file was copied along with the other user files and that is why the dialog reset was required.