Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting to a printer, with 2 sheet sizes

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

NX9

I've got a Xerox printer working as a "plotter" for A-size sheets, ie 8.5x11, but I can't get the paper tray to switch when I send a B-size (11x17).  I've even setup 2 "plotters" each with only one sheet size, but only the 8.5x11 tray is used.

I realize there are some language issues with plotting to printers, so maybe this can't be done?

-Dave

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Plotting to a printer, with 2 sheet sizes

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I'm assuming you're using the "File -> Plot" command ("File -> Print" should pop up the native Windows "print" dialog which should allow selection of paper size, etc.)

Typically you need to set up an initialization file for each paper size. The init file tells the printer (in "printer language") what paper size to use.

I set up 2 SDI queues in NX - one per paper size - so selecting the "plotter" also selects the size.

NX comes with (at least) HPGL and Postscript init files for changing paper size - they might have added some others since I last looked.  Note the Xerox colorqubes need different postscript init files that other Xerox PS printers.

There are also ways to set this up in Windows (as the SDI queues typically point to Windows queues).

Hope this helps... Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks.  I may have to call in IT, since this seems to be above my level of printer/plotter knowledge.

Time to do more research.

-Dave

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Added confusion...so far I've only been able to get this Xerox 7835 to 'plot' if I use HPGL/2, but the Xerox guy says it should work with Postscript Level 3 or PCL v6.  There are 14 classes under the printer model menu, Postscript Level 2, and HPGL/2 are two of them.  I have tried Postscript Level 2, and it just printed jibberish.  Any idea what I would try for PCL v6?  I see init files for PS and PCL, but not HPGL.

-Dave

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Did the PS level 2 look like "code" or an erro dump or real gibberish (have you ever seen what a Postscript file looks like?)

See code (attachments didn't attach)  for init files I needed to use for our colorqubes (compare to "ps_*_init" files in %UGII_BASE_DIR%\NXPLOT\config\pm_server for changes)

letter (I created new init file "ps_letter_init_colorqube")

%%BeginFeature: *PageSize Letter
     << /PageSize [612 792] >> setpagedevice
%%EndFeature

ledger (new init file = ps_ledger_init_colorqube)

%%BeginFeature: *PageSize Tabloid
     << /PageSize [792 1224] >> setpagedevice
%%EndFeature

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Decided to start from scratch with a new "model" for this printer.  Per GTAC suggestion, I started with "HP HP Postscript Multi-Bin Generic", which uses Postscript Level 2.

Once setup, I tried to plot my A-size test drawing, and using the advanced plot settings, it told me it exceeded the print area (as expected).  The plot failed at the printer though, because it was waiting for 11.5x9.0 paper to be loaded.  I then created a new custom size sheet, 8x10, added a view, and tried to plot that.  Again, it failed at the printer, because it didn't have 8x10 paper.  So now I created a custom size of 8.5x11, and added a view that left a lot of room around the edge.  Still it said it exceeded the print area, and again failed at the printer because it was waiting for some sheet size just over 8.5x11.

Ugh...

-Dave

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

OK, another lunch hour test session, and using the Class:  Raster/RTL seems to work.  Only issue is shaded views are wire frame, and the image file in the title block is a bit messy looking.

Looking into the init files now.  First test with the "pcl5_ledger" init file, resulted in black jibberish.  Jibberish as in large black lines and [] looking stuff, not code.  It did use the proper paper size though.

-Dave