Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Snaps: Tangency Point and Measure

Creator
Creator

Hi everybody,

I have 2 questions realted to point snaps:

1- Tangency Point: I want to give a parallel dimension to the inclined line in the video clip below. If i select the end point of the line, it finds the exact point of tangency. However, if I select the tangent point it picks an irrelevant point. Am I doing something wrong?

(view in My Videos)

2- Measure: When I use measure for a driving dimension, I cannot snap to any point on the sketch other than the origin. Am I using "measure" command incorrectly?

(view in My Videos)

Ural

5 REPLIES

Re: Point Snaps: Tangency Point and Measure

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

1- Tangent Point option means that your dimension will be tangent to the arc. If you want to define dimension to the arc-line tangency point, I would recommend to put additional point on the sketch. Constraint the point to lie on line and arc (these objects have only one common point, so it will lie on tangency point). Then you can make the dimension to tangency point.

cheers

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

To 2nd Question:

It is not possible to create an associative Measement inside an opened Sketch. In my video you could see that behavior and in order to that reglemantation, your measurement and the parameter that has to be created could not be linked to together (because of the timestamps)

greetings,

Andre

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I beg to differ.

I have created an associative measurment while inside a sketch (10.0.3.5 MP16 IIRC)

Of course, then the part had a circular reference error and was completely hosed, so I lost all my work after the last save...

Apparently I wasn't thinking clearly when I tried it ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Oh didn't know that it is possible. I tried it with 10.0.3 MP19 and 11.0.2 MP2 and could not do it. How did you do that? Because of the timestamps it should not be possible, isn't it? Case for a PR/IR?

greetings,

Andre

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Ural,

For item # 2, you are only allowed to select objects or points which belong to features with an earlier timestamp than the sketch you are currently creating. That's why you are only able to select the datum CSYS origin and nothing else in your example.

If you want to define associative sizes or parameters within the sketch itself, then you should either use geometric constraints or use the reference -> feature parameter option (within the same pulldown where you found measure) and select the expression from any feature or sketch regardless of timestamp.

For item #1, I would suggest that instead of explicitly selecting points, you should simply select the line itself and then move the mouse until the preview dimension changes to a point-to-point dimension, then place it on the sketch. 

Hope this helps you,

Abe

Regards,
Abe