Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point display

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Recently we imported a some point data from an external source.  There were thousands of points, and it was hard to see the points as desired, for two reasons.  

1)  Points are displayed as a +, and a . would be prefered.  Is there a way to change the display of a point for the consumer of this point data?  I could set them up a special seed file, to import in to.

2)  Points were color coded in the original software, and they were all the same color in in NX.  Can the colors be retained?

Thanks,

Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
6 REPLIES

Re: Point display

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

1) I don't think so, but something may have been done since the last time I saw this asked (or I could just be having a senior moment).
You could always make a .001" diameter circle for each point?

2) HOW was the data imported?
Is the color defined in the file you used to import?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

You have few method to change Point display setting as below.

(But all of them is not enough to display clearly )

- To change color and width form Object Display
(But the width is not work for graphical displaying.)

- To change display scale from Calibrate [Preference > Visualization > View/Screen > Calibration]
(You can change display scale for graphic window. It work for Csys, View Triad and Costrant symbols sametime.)

- To convert Reference within Sketch Task.
(Reference points displayed more clearly. But you can convert only point within Sketch)

Sunkap Ahn, Senior Support Engineer

logo

Gears Phenom

Data was imported by opening a new file, and then File, Import, Points from File

The file was ascii, with the X, Y, Z coordinates, followed by the RGB color.  We took a chunk of the file, and removed teh RGB code, and imported that.  It was not practical to do this for the hundreds of thousands of points in the file.

Original file we got was a .ply, which NX can not import, so we had to request the ascii file.

Siemens rep was here on wed., and showed us the import from a .pod scan data file, and the points were tiny dots, with color, but he wasn't able to offer any insight on our situation.  I think this was using "Reference Point Cloud"

-Dave

RE: Display color

You could "roll you own" journal to read the data (XYZ + RGB)

Then use UF_DISP_ask_closest_color (or equivalents) to get the closest current color to given the RGB values (remember NX only uses 216 or whatever colors)

- create point

- assign color

- repeat several thousand times ;-)

I would assume there's code out there somewhere to read point files, should be easy enough to modify.

But (Last I tried) NX doesn't really handle 1000s of points very well...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Was it a binary .ply file or ascii (plain text)?

Gears Phenom

I'm curious about this new "Reference Point Cloud", and what other formats it may import in the future.

-Dave