Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point of datum coordinate system?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Being new to NX, I'm still getting use to some of the terminology.  When selecting an origin point in a sketch, QuickPicks will show something similar to below.  Sketch Origin is self explanatory, but why is the origin of the Datum CSYS(0) called "Point of Datum Coordinate System(0)" rather than "Origin of Datum Coordinate System (0)"?  The latter seems clearer and more conventional to me. Just curious.

Origin_quickpicks.png

10 REPLIES

Re: Point of datum coordinate system?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Because there is an actual 'point' which is part of the Datum Coordinate System object (which is a sort of composite object consisting of multiple 'entities', with this 'point' being simply one of them).

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Ok. I see now. So a point entity, with the understanding that it's at the origin.

From the perspective of someone totally new to NX, I think it would be clearer to call it an "origin" (with the understanding it's a point), rather than the other way around. I hate to admit, the first time I saw it I found it a bit confusing, whereas if I had seen Origin I don't think I would have given it a second thought. Just my 2¢ :^)

Siemens Phenom

Please keep in mind that there are many NX functions where you're expected to select a 'Point' and when using one of these functions, you're able to select a Datum Coordinate System object as if it were a 'Point', since in essence, it is.  In fact, if you look at how NX entities are categorized, you'll see that a regular 'Point' object is included in the set of objects known as 'Datums' which includes Datum Planes, Datum Axis and CSYS objects.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

We actually changed this to what you expected in NX 11.0.1. There are other changes to the naming of datum CSYS objects as well. You can see them in this knowledge base article I wrote.

This is that it looks like now.
origin of csys.png

From your screenshot it looks like you are in sketcher. The sketch origin is the point you want to snap to, we also put it on top (in a recent release) so it should be the first point you snap to. The other point is the origin point of the datum CSYS that was already there before you created a sketch.

Try to keep your references internal to the sketch, it is more stable.

Regards, **bleep**

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Wow.  That's great news!  And thanks for the link to your aritcle.  Glad to see all the improvements being made.

Unfortunately I'm stuck on NX10 until the developers of my FEA code update the link to NX.  It only supports up to NX10 currently.  But that should happen sometime this summer, and I can't wait to upgrade.

Phenom
Phenom

John, it’s still confusing.

If there is a point at the “Point of Datum Coordinate System”, why didn’t it make a hole there?

mf_datum_point_20170309.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

The sketch origin point is a visible part of the sketch when the sketch is finished. You can only refernece is when the sketch is active. So, the origin point is not used as a point to put a hole on. If it was, then every sketch would contain a point. That would not be desirable.

Regards, **bleep**

Phenom
Phenom
but why is the origin of the Datum CSYS(0) called "Point of Datum Coordinate System(0)" rather than "Origin of Datum Coordinate System (0)"?  The latter seems clearer and more conventional to me.

Above is from the question.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Siemens Phenom

We actually changed this to what you expected in NX 11.0.1. There are other changes to the naming of datum CSYS objects as well.

The above is from the answer. Smiley Happy

Regards, **bleep**origin of csys.png