Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points from Measurements

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

So creating a measurement can be created easily by either picking a surface or points, and anything in between. Is there a way to create points from a measure?

For example, if I had a cone feature and I needed to know a specific distance from the cone's apex (tip) to a radial surface. I should be able to create a measure from a point on the cone (already available) to a point on the surface (most likely normal from the cone's tip point to the surface).

If it's capable to get this measurement in NX, is it also capable to create points from that measurement, to use later?

Thanks,

Jason

2 REPLIES

Re: Points from Measurements

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Jason,

You cannot get a 'point' to create using the measure command.  If you turn on the setting in the measure dialog 'Create output geometry', NX will create a line between the selected objects to measure.

You can then manually create a point on the end of the line that is created.

Alternatively, If you have a point on the tip of the cone, you can use the Derived Curve'Project Curve' command to project the cone tip point normal to the surface.

I attached a simple image showing the result, based on my interpretation of your description.

Re: Points from Measurements

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Thanks, RonY.

I've used CATIA V5 for a while now, and one thing that users can do is create a measurement between surfaces, get the expected result, but then create the points and lines on either surface.

I found myself always creating features in NX before using them in either PMI or Measurements.

I'll give this a whirl and then ask any questions if I'm still stumped. Thanks for the quick reply.

~Jason