Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Populating a Spreadsheet with Driven Dimension

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, I'm starting a new thread as i have not found a similar problem on the boards. I'm using NX 9

I have a sketch with several driving dimensions and one driven dimension. I need to change one of the driving dimensions (from 0 to 400 in increments of 1), and record the corresponding driven dimension to plot a graph.

I would like to know if it is possible to automate this process and export a table of the driving and corresponding driven dimensions in the form of a spreadsheet.

3 REPLIES

Re: Populating a Spreadsheet with Driven Dimension

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

This thread (on eng-tips) gives some code to do something very similar:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=433596

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you, this code was perfect for my application and has helped me to get started with Journaling

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Actually, if you own the "Optimization Wizard" license (part of most Mach bundles these days), you'll also have access to the "Sensitivity Studies" tool that is designed for exactly this scenario.  :-)

With this tool, you can:

1. Choose any number of "design variable" inputs, and specify step sizes for each

2. Choose any number of "watch values" for which to collect values

3. Let NX automatically iterate over the design space and collect this data for you.  :-)

In addition to the kind of data collection workflow you've described, this tool is also super-useful for testing a parametric model over a design space to make sure that it updates robustly within the desired envelope -- great for testing parametric template models before deployment, for example.

Here's a video showing a simple collection case like you've described:

(view in My Videos)

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com