cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Populating title block with Material and Weight

Phenom
Phenom

This has been an ongoing battle, since I started with my current employer.

We use NX in a master model system, with Teamcenter.  Yesterdays thread on the Material attribute changes in NX 10, caused me to revisit out drawing formats, hoping to resolve it.

I edited one of our drawing formats, adding the attributes:

DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Material

DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Weight

I then edited the title block, to look at these attributes.  Both show as expected in the template:

TitleBlock.JPG

Next I created a new model file, and assigned a material.  Saved the part.  Started a new drawing, using the format I edited, and the Material and Weight are blank.

I know NX_Material and NX_Weight are considered system attributes, so I can't see them in the file properties.  How can I see if they are actually being created?  with the previous "Material" attribute, Teamcenter is set to control it, in the attribute mappings file.  Could this still be the issue?

Other thoughts?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
32 REPLIES

Re: Populating title block with Material and Weight

Phenom
Phenom

For reference, these are our current TCmappings, and my proposed changes(removals) with the strike thru marking.

{ Dataset type="UGMASTER"
    "DB_PART_NAME" : Item.object_name /write_once /description="Part Name"
    "DB_PART_DESC" : Item.object_desc /write_once /description="Part Description"

{ Item type="CGR4_Item"
        "site" : Item.cgr4_Site /description="site"
        "Year" : Item.cgr4_Year /description="Year"
        "SectionComplex" : Item.cgr4_SectionComplex /master=iman /description="cgr4_SectionComplex_toNX"
        "MeasuredWeight" : ItemRevision.cgr4_MeasuredWeight /master=iman /description="Measured Weight"
        "Materialdetail" : ItemRevision.cgr4_Materialdetail /master=iman /description="Material Detail"
        "Material" : ItemRevision.cgr4_Material /master=iman /description="Material"
        "IPN" : Item.cgr4_IPN /description="Internal Part Number"
        "CarType" : Item.cgr4_CarType /description="Car Type"
        "CADWeight" : ItemRevision.cgr4_CADWeight /master=cad /description="CAD Weight"
        "CADMaterial" : ItemRevision.cgr4_CADMaterial /master=cad /description="CAD Material"
    }

}

-Dave

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I had to add attribute mapping for it to work for me. My simplified mapping file:

{ Item type="Item"
"NX_Material" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_master_form,ItemRevision Master).a11_Material
}

{ Item type="MI_Item"
"NX_Material" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_master_form,MI_Item Revision Master).Material /description="Assigned Material"

}

}

{ Dataset type="UGPART"
{ Item type="Item"
"DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Material" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_master_form,ItemRevision Master).a11_Material

"DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Mass" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification,UGMASTER).NR(UGPART-MASSPR).mass /master=iman /description="Mass (kg)"
}

{ Item type="MI_Item"
"DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Material" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_master_form,MI_Item Revision Master).Material

"DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Mass" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification,UGMASTER).NR(UGPART-MASSPR).mass /master=iman /description="Mass (kg)"
}

}

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Phenom
Phenom

I must admit, most of that is just jibberish to me, but hopefully our TC guy can make sense of it.  It does give me hope though!  Thanks.

-Dave

Phenom
Phenom

Let me also add, to remove any other confusion, we are NOT using IMM.  We assign materials in NX, using Assign Material, ie the old school way.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom
If that's the case, why was your material mapping set to /master=iman?

Siemens Phenom

Here's Larry's mappings broken down:

{ Dataset type="UGMASTER"  //  NX Model dataset
{ Item type="Item"  // not required, but keeping default item type mappings separate.
"NX_Material" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_master_form,ItemRevision Master).a11_Material
// mapping "NX_Material" to "a11_Material" property on the Item Revision Master Form, no switches so mapping is bi-directional.
}  { Item type="MI_Item" // custom item type "MI_Item" mappings only "NX_Material" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_master_form,MI_Item Revision Master).Material /description="Assigned Material" // As above but for the custom item type
}  } { Dataset type="UGPART" // NX Drawing dataset { Item type="Item" "DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Material" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_master_form,ItemRevision Master).a11_Material //  mapping Attribute Template "DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Material" to "a11_Material" property on Item Revision Master Form. Bi-directional, but since NX cannot write to properties on the UGPART dataset it will only read the property on the form.
// mapping Attribute Template DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Mass to the UGMASTER Named Reference "mass" property. Value is driven by Tc (master=iman). } { Item type="MI_Item" "DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Material" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_master_form,MI_Item Revision Master).Material "DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Mass" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification,UGMASTER).NR(UGPART-MASSPR).mass /master=iman /description="Mass (kg)"

// As above, but for the custom item type. } }

Phenom
Phenom

Lack of understanding, when things were setup.  Initially they thought they could use an LOV in Tc to assign a material, until I informed them that it would not have any material properties, only a name.  Where as assigning via the old method in NX, would give the model a density, and other material properties.

-Dave

Phenom
Phenom

That helps a wee bit @BenBroad , and hopefully makes sense to our TC guy.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom

I just finished testing NX11.0.2 on Tc11.2.3.  The following mapping works to map the NX Material assigned using the Material Library to a property called "a2_Material" on the Tc Item Revision:

"NX_Material" : ItemRevision.a2_Material /master=cad /description="Material"
}

You will not see NX Material in the list of NX Attributes until you assign a material.
I then opened my A4 drawing template and created two new DB_DWG_TEMPLATE attributes via the Attribute Templates command; DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Material and DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_Material.  Using the References option within the Note dialog I referenced each DB_DWG_TEMPLATE attribute and placed the note on the template.  When creating a new A4 drawing from the template, both references displayed the material I had assigned to the associated UGMASTER.

So you don't need to take the step that Larry did, which was include the DB_DWG_TEMPLATE attributes in the mapping for Material.  The problem with pointing to the MassPropMass attribute, using Attribute Templates, is that its value is not inherited in the UGMASTER to the instance level, so no value is displayed (ER 1912129).  One solution that works (I verified it) is to use Larry's solution, to map the attribute created using attribute templates to the "mass" property in the UGMASTER named reference:

{ Dataset type="UGPART"
}

I had to edit the syntax of my note to point to the "Mass" alias attribute that Larry's mapping created (rather than use the DB_DWG_TEMPLATE_NX_Mass attribute).

Regards, Ben