Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to copy a sketch and reattach it, so that it is always linked to the original?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Let's say I'm working on a component and I have a original sketch that I have defined on a face. How can I copy that original/master sketch and paste it onto another face and use the 'reattach' feature to just orient the sketch? 

And if I modify the original sketch, the linked sketch will also be modified. I should not be allowed to modify the dimensions or constraints of the linked sketch. 

The only way I see me doing this is to creat expressions, but expressions only control dimensions. If I decide to modify any geometric constraints, they will not follow. Or I can extract the sketch and perhaps right click move it, but it will not be parametric. 

It is possible to do this in CATIa with the copy->paste special. But I am struggling similar functionality. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Possible to copy a sketch and reattach it, so that it is always linked to the original?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Baratheon ,

Try using below paste settings. With these settings, you can define new references for sketch and can keep expressions same as parent sketch.

Paste.PNG

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Amol

Re: Possible to copy a sketch and reattach it, so that it is always linked to the original?

Phenom
Phenom

If you copy a sketch from one component to another in an assembly using WAVE Geomery Linker, you can make the copy associataive.