Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to 'unite' (or attach) bodies or sheets into a single unparamaterized feature/body?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have a unique scenereo where I have several solid bodies (faces, actually... but they're called bodies in the assembly navigator) in a part, that are NOT connected or intersecting, that I would like to unite or combine as a single feature. Im aware of feature groups but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Ideally I'd like to be able to then take that feature and 'remove parameters', which feature group doesn't work with.

does something like this exist? Can UG see two spererate, unconnected objects/sets a of faces, as a single object?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Possible to 'unite' (or attach) bodies or sheets into a single unparamaterized feature/body?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I think 'Feature Group' is about the best that you're going to be able to do.  To start with, you can't combine Sheet and Solid Bodies even if they did intersect since that would result in a 'non-manifold' body.  As for Sheet Bodies or Solid Bodies that don't intersect, there is no unifying 'feature' other than a Group since NX does not support Bodies consisting of disjointed or unconnected members.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Re: Possible to 'unite' (or attach) bodies or sheets into a single unparamaterized feature/body?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Awesome, thanks for the reply John. Thats what I assumed.

I know that other modeling suites do allow this (3DsMax) but it makes logical sense why UG doesn't. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

@JohnRBaker

"To start with, you can't combine Sheet and Solid Bodies even if they did intersect since that would result in a 'non-manifold' body."

?? If i'm not mistaking you're a little wrong about it? If you take a cube with one face missing and use the trim and extend or combine feature on a bigger closed cube, you will get a regular solid no?

Also JonRBaker is right about Group's or you could use layer to sort them out

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, in terms of using a 'sheet' to cover a 'hole' or 'pocket' in the side of a 'solid', you're correct, but I was assuming the more general case of attempting to attach a 'sheet' to the side or edge of a 'solid'.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA