Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precise assembly

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

NX9 TC10

Currently our default is to use non-precise assemblies, but we have a case where we would like to save a precise assembly.  As I understand it, if I do a File, Save, Save Precise Assembly at the top level, it should save it and its sub assemblies as "precise", and then when anyone opens that top level assembly, it will open with the same component revisions as when it was saved.  Will it have to be saved "as precise" everytime after that, to keep it's precise status?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
11 REPLIES

Re: Precise assembly

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Dave,

Although my TC knowledge is quite naive but as far as i remember once saved as a precise assembly it will always be a precise assembly only so a normal "save" operation should be good.

Would certainly like someone from TC group to ccomment on the same.

Best Regards

Kapil

Experimenter
Experimenter
Its more complicated than that as it depends on your revision rules as well

The save as precise means Teamcenter will store the links in the structure as a revision to revision link rather than item to item link (imprecise)

The assembly has therefore been 'prepared' by saving precise. However unless your revision rule contains a precise entry it will ignore it and use imprecise rules to decide on the revision. When opening it again

Regards,
IHC Engineering Business Ltd.
James Beer MEng
Senior Engineer
T +44 1661 844 519
j.beer@ihcmerwede.com
Unit 12 Stocksfield Hall,
Stocksfield, Northumberland,
NE43 7TN, United Kingdom
www.ihceb.com
www.ihcmerwede.com

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for the named addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this e-mail and please notify us immediately by telephone on +44(0)1661 844519 or by either replying to this email, or sending the message to to EBReturn.mail@Royalihc.com. Please then delete this transmission and any copies from your system. Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and any attachments are free from viruses, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient must ensure that they are in fact virus free. IHC Engineering Business Ltd is registered in England and Wales, registration number 03347951. Registered address: Stocksfield Hall, Stocksfield, Northumberland. NE43 7TN. UK. VAT Reg. No: GB 828 1272 30

Gears Phenom

I am by no means a Tc expert, but I think we are ok in that regard.  Those of us that would use the precise assembly, have the default of "latest working".

Tc_RevisionRules.jpg

-Dave

Siemens Phenom

As I understand it, if I do a File, Save, Save Precise Assembly at the top level, it should save it and its sub assemblies as "precise",

Correct.

and then when anyone opens that top level assembly, it will open with the same component revisions as when it was saved.

Correct - as long as precise is used in the revision rule as you have shown in your screen shot.  There are things you should be aware of though, such as having revised components/sub assemblies already loaded in the session prior to loading the precise assembly.  Turning on the Precise Structure column in the ANT will help you here:

precise structure.jpg

Also, turning on Multiple Revisions in the Customer Defaults allows the precise revisions to load with the precise structure if newer versions are already loaded in the session.

Will it have to be saved "as precise" everytime after that, to keep it's precise status?

No - just a regular save maintains the precise status.

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom

Other than the "Precise Structure" column in the Assembly Navigator, is there any other indicator in NX for a user, that an assembly is precise?  

In Tc I see that it is listed as "precise" in the Structure Managar, but no other more obvious warning any place.

Maybe it's not a big deal, I'm just concerned someone will notice the latest widget isn't showing, and think something is wrong, and try to 'fix' it.

I am unsure about turning on "Enable Multiple Revisions", and if I did, I'd probably turn on "Check Revisions on Load" too, so the user would be made aware of what is going on.  We have a lot of new users, and they may be unaware of some of the ramifications.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom

Other than the "Precise Structure" column in the Assembly Navigator, is there any other indicator in NX for a user, that an assembly is precise?

Not that I can think of.

I checked the docs and although there's lots of information on using precise there does not appear to be any other indicators in NX.  One thing I did find that I though was worth mentioning (as you were asking if Sub Assemblies are saved as precise) :

Any subassembly parts not loaded or partially loaded into the NX session are not included in the precise save operation.

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom

@BenBroad  Well, I discovered a sub assembly that was missed when I did my overall save as precise, so I'm correcting that now.  I noticed now, that I don't see anyting in the precise structure column in the ANT, why would that be?   I saved it, closed it, and reopened the assy.   I can tell the assy is precise when I look in Teamcenter, because it shows item revisions under view, instead of items.

WherePrecise.JPG

-Dave

Siemens Phenom
Was the entire assembly structure fully loaded when you used Save as Precise?

Ben

Gears Phenom

I thought so, but I am going to presume not.

My biggest question is why don't I see anything in the ANT column?

-Dave