Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Precise assy option question

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Question is about the setting:

In the Customer defaults, Teamcenter Integration, Assembly

"save imprecise assemblies as precise on save precise assembly"

The "tip" simply says "This option determines whether or not imprecise assemblies will be saved as precise on save precise assembly"

Does that simply mean unchecking will disable the ability to save a precise assembly in NX?

or

Will it disable sub-assemblies from becoming precise, when you save an upper level assembly as precise?

I ask, because we have some assemblies we want precise, but have found some subassemblies that we need imprecise, have been turned precise.  I'm sure it was user error, having something in the assembly structure that should have been removed before going precise.  I'm just looking to eliminate human error.

Thanks!

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10
3 REPLIES

Re: Precise assy option question

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @DaveK,

Does that simply mean unchecking will disable the ability to save a precise assembly in NX?

or

Will it disable sub-assemblies from becoming precise, when you save an upper level assembly as precise?

I disabled 'Save imprecise assemblies as precise on save precise assembly' and created a simple assembly to test your theory that consisted of a precise top assembly with a couple of components and an imprecise sub-assembly.  One component (compC) at the top level had newer revision in TC (rev D), but was not saved in the precise structure, so I knew I was loading a precise assembly when loading the top level.  I then loaded an earlier revision (rev B) of a component (compB) of the imprecise assembly in the session prior to loading the imprecise assembly, so that if 'Save As Precise' saved the imprecise sub-assembly as a precise structure, reloading the top level would load the earlier revision (rev B) of the component in the sub level, rather than the newer revision (rev C).  Does than make sense?

prior to save.png

On saving the precise assembly, using Save As Precise, and then closing and reloading the structure, the imprecise assembly loaded the latest revision of its component (compB / rev C).  Therefore the imprecise assembly was not saved as precise.

default_disabled.png

Furthermore, on reviewing the BVR in the Structure Manager in Teamcenter you can see that the imprecise assembly remains imprecise:

precise_imprecise_bvr.png

Loading this assembly in NX using the Precise Only revision rule did not load a component for compB because it's parent assembly was not saved as precise.  (Note: compA loads because it also belongs to the precise top level.)

loading_precise_imprecise_using_precise_load_option.png

I then enabled the customer default and repeated my steps (rebuilding the top level as I had done in the previous test).  The older revision of compB loaded (rev B) with the imprecise assembly - hence the imprecise structure was saved as precise.

default_enabled.png

This is also seen in Structure Manager:

precise_bvr_in_SM.png

Originally I used "File > Save" with the default enabled (since I had been told that Save As Precise was not necessary when a precise structure, loaded in NX, needed to be updated, File > Save will suffice).  This did not update the imprecise structure to precise - I had to select Save As Precise in order for the imprecise assembly to save as precise.

Note that this was tested using Tc11.3, NX11.0.0 and the OOTB Teamcenter "Latest Working" revision rule, which loads (in order):

Precise
   Working( )
   Has Status( Any Release Status, Configured Using Released Date )

Hope that helps.

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Well @BenBroad, I had to read thru that a couple times, but I *think* that is what I was hoping/looking for. 

Thanks!

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
I added some more screenshots and a little more explanation.

Regards, Ben