Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferences vs. Customer Defaults

Genius
Genius

Since long I'm confused about the difference between Preferences and Customer Defaults. For example, "Display Reference Curves" for sketch can be set in both places.

What I'm sure about:

• Both of them work as defaults for all the objects created in the future, and don't affect existing objects.

What I'm NOT sure about:

Q1: My guess on Effective Scope 

• Preferences is saved with invidual part files.
  • Customer Defaults is system-level and affecting all part files opened.

• The behavor in a specific part file is governed 100% by Preferences that is integral and unique data saved with the part file.
  • If a specific item (so called "part specific"?) has never been manually set in a part file, the part file does not have any record for that item's setting info and would follow that in the current Customer Defaults.
  • For those items (so called "session specific"?) that don't appear in Preferences, settings in the current Customer Defaults would always be followed.

Q2: My guess on Effective Time

• Preferences takes effect immediately after being changed.
  • Customer Defaults takes effect after restarting NX.

Thanks!

[ Before this post, I read the official documentation. After this post, I read an existing thred Difference between Customer Default and Preferences, but I'm still not very clear about the issue.]

21 REPLIES

Re: Preferences vs. Customer Defaults

Legend
Legend

Changing the customer default will not change the preference on any existing file when you reopen it.

It will be the prefernce when you make a new file

Customer defaults only effects new files.

As soon as you go file new... the customer defaluts  become the files preference settings.

If you dont like how something in your file is behaving change that files preference setting.

If you want all your future files to preform the same way, change your customer default.

Hope that adds clarity.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.1, MP2}

Genius
Genius

Hi @psch_wny   Thanks for your reply!

As soon as you go file new... the customer defaluts  become the files preference settings.

If you dont like how something in your file is behaving change that files preference setting.

This means that Preferences settings are saved along with the part file?

Legend
Legend

Yes preference settings for a part file are saved in the file

Keep in mind anytime you are using a template part. It is it's own file and has it's own preference settings

This may be why you change a customer default... but you never seem to get that preference setting.

You would have to open that template part file and change the preference in there and save the part file.

Genius
Genius

Hi @psch_wny   Thanks for the explanation of Preferences!

Changing the customer default will not change the preference on any existing file when you reopen it.

It will be the prefernce when you make a new file

Customer defaults only effects new files.

I am still not very clear about the "new file" you refered to.

When running File > New, NX simply creates a copy of an existing template file, which is either shipped along with the software or created by the user. A template file has nothing different from a common part file.

While every part file has its own Preferences settings, how does Customer Defaults affect new files?

Legend
Legend

I guess that is confusing. Maybe I mis-spoke a little...

The help doesn't shed allot of light.

In general I've found that if I change a customer default... and I never seem to get it. I go into the template part and change it there.

Expample.... facet visualization setting... I want fine resolution and align facets to edges... changed the customer default, never get it I have to change it in all my new parts. Went into the template model part, assembly part and MFG part and changed it there, never a problem again.

Have also changed the majority of my drafting preferences in my drafting template.

Not all files are created by file new. I could open a solid works part file. and it would open in NX, become an NX part without going file new. So there would be nothing inhertited from a template part. It would all come from the customer default setting.

Some cutomer defaults effect newly created parts. some effect how your session is funtioning. If you change a part preference setting it will always be changed in that part until you change it again.

You could change a customer default for a dialog box. It will come up that way the next time you open it (provided, it is a new session. customer defaults are read when NX launches) that is not the type of setting saved in a part file.

Happy Modeling

Genius
Genius

Hi @psch_wny    Thanks for sharing your observation with Customer Defaults!

I noticed a previous post by @JohnRBaker:

While there are some cases where this is true, many Preference settings are saved in the Windows registry and therefore will be remembered the next time you start a session of NX.

From my limited experience I agree with you that the preference settings are saved in the part file. But @JohnRBaker seemed to think otherwise. The issue is really very frustrating.

Legend
Legend

John Baker is "The Man" he would know for sure...

Genius
Genius

Hi @psch_wny   Thanks!

Genius
Genius

Hi @psch_wny

Some cutomer defaults effect newly created parts. some effect how your session is funtioning. If you change a part preference setting it will always be changed in that part until you change it again.

In other words, some customer defaults affect ONLY newly created parts, and some customer defaults ALSO affect existing parts. To be honest, I'm totally lost.