Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with pattern component

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Assembly.prt contains a pattern that doesnt behave as expected. I think it is NX bug but maybe I am doing something wrong or there is a workaround... Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES

Re: Problem with pattern component

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

The problem is that the holes are not 'patterns' itself, which is why it doesn't detect it. Just pattern your holes, and the problem will be solved.

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)

Phenom
Phenom

To utilize the Threaded Hole pattern, Bolt should reside in the same sub assembly. Check the attached assembly.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Knowledge-Base/Intelligent-Design-Automati...

mf_ptrn_20171127.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Paras, What do you mean the holes are not pattern itself? In the exaple attached the hole skectch contains a pattern anyway in other cases holes are placed in a sketch without follow a patter possition. 

Mike, The product structure needs the bolts at assembly level and the holes at the machining level. It is how it is made in reality, first we create the part welded and machined and then we assemble them togueter. Machined component needs its own draft and even it may be a spare part itself (without bolts). 

I can place bolts manually but it is quite annoying. Is it a NX bug I should report?

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

What I meant was that the holes should be a set of pattern (doesn't really matter if you pattern in the sketch or pattern the feature itself later on).
I just worked on a similar assembly like yours and it seems to work fine.

As mike_fdo has pointed out, this might me because your bolts are not in the same sub-asm.

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)

Phenom
Phenom

@Javiduc;

So obviously Component Pattern is working with the assembly structure I used but yours.

If you wish to utilise Component Pattern adopt my structure and with Reference Sets (in Master Model drafts) or “Layer Visible in Views” (Model & Draft combo), control the visibility of what you want to show in the drafts.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I need to use the structure that matches real life logic not a structure whose logic is that component pattern works. Products are manufactured and assembled following an order/structure and I need to follow that order not only for NX drafts but also for TC BOMs, or just for my workmates for easily understand design when they look at it. If bolts are in the machined item and our manufacturing team launch the fabrication of the machined item they are going to purchase a lot of bolts that are not needed...

If there isnt a way to use pattern command at assembly level, I think I will manually place the bolts in these case and similar cases, but I think NX is not working properly. I have use pattern tools with other CAD packages without this problem.

Phenom
Phenom

Currently I'm too using an other CAD system and when I get back to my NX seat, I will try another method I used to do with the other CAD system. I'll let you know if that method is working.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

Check the attached. Will that work for you.

mf_ptrn_20171128.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @mike_fdo your assembly works perfectly! What is the key? promoting body to the assembly file? That solve the problem, thank you very much. I tested to delete promoted bodies and make the pattern again and it still worked.