Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product System Template - Making List of Choices work for length?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello. I'm trying to make an expression defining the length of an extrude to be decided by a List of Choices PTS entry. Trying to make a list of different length values (see pic), does not work. (Neither trying to write 1200mm 1000mm etc.). When I enter 1200 1000 800 or 600 as a list entry in the PTS, the expression value is changed to 1 (most likely meaning NX does not understand the list entry, redefining it as 1 becuase N/A information).

As I've understood from the courses about PTS, the List of Choices is mainly for referring parts, but is it possible to make List of Choices work in the PTS for length values?

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 10.49.53 AM.png

6 REPLIES

Re: Constraints

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

When you add this last component, and get errors, select that component in the ANT, and look in the Dependencies portion of the ANT.  Toggle on the magnifying glass.  I'd start togling on/off the constraints, and try to narrow it down.

See this thread too, for lots of good tip:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Managing-Assembly-constraints/m-p/40...

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dave, Can you please expound more on "toggle on the magnifying glass"?  I'm using NX10.  Is that an option and what do you do with that for working with that with constraints?  From working with a different CAD software, trouble shooting these constraints is very cumbersome and time consuming.

CA-TUBO - Do reference that other link that Dave listed.  It does have helpful info for the task of troubleshooting and figuring out what went wrong with the constraints.  

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

A picture should be worth a thousand words here.

AssyNav.jpg

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dave, Thanks for the picture!  I was comparing that to my ANT and realized that my ANT was only showing the top Descriptive Part Name top portion.  I finally noticed the double lines at the bottom of the ANT.  The top section had maximized without me realizing it.  I was able to move up the double lines and now I can see the Preview and Dependencies portions of the ANT as well.  I doubt I would have even known there was a problem with my ANT if you hadn't added the picture.  

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When working with constraints remember the constraint navigator is there also. It can be sorted to help you narrow down what you are looking for rather efficiently. Here is an image of the same assembly showing some of the options.

ConstraintNav.pngConstraint Navigator

Scott

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Do you think that NX will improve their constraints capabilities to make it far easier to place components and have them be easily constrained?  I see all these steps that the users can do to view the failed constraints and then spend a lot of time doing the troubleshooting to see what failed, but it would be far better if the assembly constraints were more user friendly so that there wouldn't need to be all of this diagnostic work.  I would prefer to be using my time designing product and placing components instead of spending so much time viewing the failed constraints and having to troubleshoot.  Right now, the temptation is to leave the components in (as another user said) in "dumb locations" instead of having them constrained.  Unfortunately, every industry that I've ever worked in didn't have that luxury.  I've always had to have the components appropriately contrained so that they can be controlled.  And yes, I do understand that appropriately constrained does allow for shafts rotating and other components moving as they would in the "real" world.