Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Project Curve / Intersect outside of sketch

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and NX10, but have extensive experience with 6 and 8.
I couldn't find an answer to my problem... :/

I'm baffled that some things (here I'm asking mostly about derived curves - projected or intersected, but I also mean splines for example) are not inside the sketch ferature. Instead they are just features on the history tree. Even though I created them while doing a sketch.

Furthermore I cannot use them in the sketch (extend, trim, make corner, etc.).

Can I change this or do all such features behave as 3D sketch features...?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES

Re: Project Curve / Intersect outside of sketch

[ Edited ]

Hi,

well, these features are not part of the sketch, and by nature they are not limited to a 2D Plane. However, a sktech is.

When you work in a sketch in direct sketch mode, you can also access commands outside the sketcher, I guess this is the reason why you ended up with this features.

What you can do, is that you can project these curves into the sketch. Then you can use the command "trim recipe curves" to trim them to other sketch geometry (only trim, not extend!). Of course, the 3D curve features must be created before the sketch (Timestamp).

Regards,

Johannes

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SRLSR
Wednesday

It is possible to create splines in the sketch; there is also the intersection curve which creates curves in the sketch by intersecting the sketch plane with a solid or face. I suggest using the "sketch in task environment" rather than the "direct sketch" option as it makes it more clear which commands will create a "sketch" curve vs. an external curve.

I have problems understanding the difference, but I started using Sketch in Task Environment (had to put it on my menu - wasn't there at all Smiley Happy ). Let's see how it goes. Thanks.

Note there is a preference (and customer default) to change the double-click action for sketches to use the "sketch in task" environment

File -> Preferences -> Modeling (NOT sketching) -> "Edit" tab -> Edit Sketch Action

Cust. Defaults

Modeling -> General -> "Edit" tab

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

After using it a bit I must say it is clearly superior. No idea, why the default was the way it was in my UI.

I prefer it, but it is the "old school" way.  As I have worked with new users, they all tend to find this one to be easier to understand.

I couldn't tell you how many times I get the, "why are there two sketchers?' question.  And the concept that is really only one sketcher, but two different interfaces is confusing to them.

-Dave
NX 9 | Teamcenter 10.1 | Windows 8.1

Hi Dave,

agree, these are two different types of usage of the sketcher.

The direct sketch capability was introduced (I remember it was NX 6) to simplify sketch based design creation workflows, where sketches are rather simple. The focus in this case stays on the whole workflow.

It also enables the user to see immediate impact on model changes when sketch curves are modified (Disable Delay Model Updates during sketch edit). Many clicks can be avoided.

I created a short video that outlines the idea for the process.

(view in My Videos)

The dedicated sketcher task environment is very benefitial for complex sketching.

At the end it is the user that decides what usage he/she prefers.

Johannes

You will find more things just as baffling the more you use it. I feel it is typically wise to learn how to customize the interface and utilize Roles effectively - that will pay off when you migrate to a newer version or at least until the Ribbon interface changes to the next "big thing".
-Tim