cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promote body

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I just started using promote bodies for fabricated/machined parts and I really like it!

I was just told by our internal NX support team that it is not a "smart and clean" way to build assemblies, and I think they are wrong.

Do you people use promote bodies?

If not, any other way to work with fabricated(or casting) and machined parts?

Thank you

Eric Ferland

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX10 user
27 REPLIES

Re: Promote body

Phenom
Phenom

I use Promote, and Wave link.  Both are very similar, but Promote was created for just what I think you are using it for, casting/forging/weldment to machined part.

I'm curious why they don't find it to be "smart and clean"?  What do they suggest?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Creator
Creator

They don't suggest anything.

The only general suggestion they have, is not to use use any wavelinks at all.

(and now no promote body either)

They say it creates problems in Teamcenter, which I doubt.

Thank you very much for your reply

Eric Ferland

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX10 user

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

If you're building the product assembly, why would you need a workpiece in your product structure anyway? You are only interested in the machined part. This way, you may create a position-independent WAVE link of a body from your workpiece into your machined part and apply machining features to it. Then you simply insert machined part into your product assembly. If you need to change anything in your workpiece-part chain, you load both workpiece and a part and do that change.

Creator
Creator

This is a good solution too, but they suggested not to do any wavelinks, because it will create problems with the release process in teamcenter, which I doubt.

Thank you for your reply.

Eric Ferland

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX10 user

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Then the only other option is to close the factory, because to associatively transfer geometry from one PRT into another only WAVE link or Promote body tools exist.

Creator
Creator

That's what I'm thinking too, or go back to the drawing board Smiley Wink

thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX10 user

Phenom
Phenom

If having live links is their concern, break them, they are easy to re-link.

We (try to) break the wavelinks prior to releasing the parts, but that is based on the speed at which things move in this industry, and live links open up another opportunity for human mistakes.  Promotions we leave "live", as they are not re-link able, but can become wave links if need be.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Creator
Creator

What types of human mistakes are you talking about?

Can you give me an example?

Thank you for your reply

Eric

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX10 user

Phenom
Phenom

I'm not familiar enough with TC to comment on possible issues with the release process when promote/wave links are involved. I'd suggest talking it over to see what issues your company has run into and then post questions on either the TC user forum or the TC admin forum. There are probably best practices or solutions to your issues; I can't imagine that everyone running TC avoids links entirely...