Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protect Datum CSYS - NX9

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is it possible to protect a Datum CSYS entity?

For example we have a start component that has a datum CSYS which is used for assembly constraints and we want to make sure that the datum CSYS cannot be deleted.  Changing it to visible only is not a solution as designers have made it selectable and then end up deleting it by accident.

Thank you,

Duane - NX9.0.3.4

5 REPLIES

Re: Protect Datum CSYS - NX9

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
Hi Duane,

Unfortunately you cannot lock features or layers in NX. ER 7357697 has already been submitted asking for the capability to lock and password protect layers in NX, and ER 6419705 for locking features.

Regards, Ben

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Password protected layers and features???

worst...idea...ever

Now the wrong design intent or silly choices of *that guy* can get locked into the file. And let's hope he doesn't lock down all his files before he leaves the company...

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I can see lots of trouble with that too.  At the most, a customer default, so that any feature assisgned some sort of name, can't be deleted.  At least then it's controlled by whoever is a site level admin, and not in the control of the individual users.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Pioneer
Pioneer

I agree it would have to be done at a system admin level.  We have seed/start files that have assembly contraints built to planes on a datum csys.  If a designer deletes all points with the datum csys turned on the point on the datum csys will be deleted with no message saying that this will delete contraints as well. The deletion of the point of the datum csys will delete the datum csys causing the contraints to be deleted and therefore causing havoc to the assembly.

I guess the bigger issue is why doesn't NX give a message stating that constraints will be removed when deleting a datum csys point?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This may spur other Ideas.

If you Feature Group the datum features the user that deletes it will get a feature dependent warning.

If you do use Product Interface (Menu--> Tools --> Product Interface) the user that deletes it will get a

Objects in Product Interface warning.

PS – I don’t know too much about Product Interface. https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Knowledge-Base/NX-Quick-Tips-Product-Inter...

Cord