Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Expression for creating mulitple designs automatically

Builder
Builder

Hi,

In NX, we can set the expression for geometry dimension. In my case, i want to get multiple designs in which there are only few dimension changes. For example, the outer diameter of a cylindrical machine, i need 100mm, 200mm and 300mm. So i set an expression "Dout". I am wondering if i can set a list of value for this expression and then get multiple designs with specified diameters automatically. 

Thanks,

Kan

8 REPLIES

Re: Question about Expression for creating mulitple designs automatically

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you are talking about part families.

Phenom
Phenom

Yes, use the List Expression. Just create a new expression and change the Type to List. Or you can start your formula with a {  and end with a }

i.e. {value1, value2, etc.} and the editor will automatically change to List.

Here's what you can do with once you have them.

Builder
Builder

Hi cowski1,

Thanks. 

My purpose is to parameterzing the part and use them in simulation later.

I will try to learn "part families" and see if that is what i want.

kan

Experimenter
Experimenter

If you want to run optimization loops in simulation, I would recommend using expressions lists. Part Families are generally a good solution for varaint design, but I assume you want to have 1 part in the end not 3 or did I get you wrong here?

Builder
Builder

Hi sholz,

The purpose is to run simulations so that i can see how the performance of my design changes with varied design variables (here is the geometry dimensions). For sure, finally i just need one optimized design.

I was using another package in which the users can parameterize the geometry and it automatically creates mulitple problems for the simulation. In other words, the users do not need to setup the FEA simulation one by one, and then just clicking the solve button and all the problems will be solved. Since i am new guy using NX with simulation, i am not sure if there is a similar way to do that.

Thanks,

Kang

Experimenter
Experimenter

So you want to test which of your e.g. 3 desings performs best?

It works using fully parametric parts. So you change one parameter and you get the complete design.
Otherwise Part Families is better to verify which of your existing designs is better. Expression lists can be used for part families as well.

Since this does depend on your simulation it might be useful to ask this questions in the simulation section.

Builder
Builder

Hi sholz,

Yes.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try the part family and ask the question for automatically creating multiple simulation cases in CAE forum. 

kan

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

This is kinda old skool, but the functionality's still there and it helps to demonstrate how a "variation on a theme" works (a.k.a. family of parts - not to be confused with part families).  Using the Modeling Spreadsheet, you can import the part's expressions, enter different values in a new column (variations) and apply them to your design.  You have to exit the spreadsheet in order to continue working on that variation, but you can reopen it down the road to restore your original values:

(view in My Videos)

Regards, Ben