Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Question on roll back of NX version

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I've read, and been told by some Siemens reps, that we will be able to "roll back" from a newer version to an older version of NX.  Now it's very possible that something was lost in translation, but we interpreted that to mean, if we install 1855, and discover a bug, we could roll back to 1847 or 1851, etc.  But on my test machine, I don't see anything in the Control panel uninstall, or in the Siemens program list.

Did we misinterperet, and you still have to do a full uninstall/reinstall, and only the part file data is "roll back" capable?

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Question on roll back of NX version

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I can't speak 'officially' but there's nothing I've seen or read that says that's possible.

If you download an update (for example 1855), you can install that separately from whatever prior release is installed on your system for testing purposes. This doesn't get  'installed', which means no registry entries for uninstall and no shortcuts in Windows Start menu.

There's an install guide PDF that comes with the new releases that explains how this 'administrative' install is done.

All of that means you can have your production release alongside a version for testing.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi DaveK,

There is no rollback function, not sure there will be either. What I can say is for example, that any data you create in 1851, 1855 you will be able to reinstall 1847 and open these files in that build. Obviously no further back though. When the June version appears (1872) then there will be a schema change which means that you cannot open any files created in 1872 in earlier versions, just as its always been. Hope that helps.

Regards

Paul

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

That is why I always do one of 2 things...

1) Install to a different folder (e.g. NX11, NX12, NX1847, NX1872)

2) Make a copy of the existing folder BEFORE installing the update...
    (note if I had a copy of, for example, 12.0.2 MR install, I might not make a copy for each MP install, as I can always start at 12.0.2. copy I already have)

Been there, done that, had to un-install & re-install one too many times...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Paul_Bevan wrote:

...When the June version appears (1872) then there will be a schema change which means that you cannot open any files created in 1872 in earlier versions, just as its always been.

Paul,

In a roundtable discussing NX 1847 late last year, the Siemens representative didn't have a definite answer, but thought NX files would be openable 3 "major" versions back.  While I don't know how a floating window like that would have worked, 6 months is a much shorter time than the old timeframe between NX11 and NX12 for instance.  Do you think a schema change at each major update (6 month release) will be the norm going forward?

Just trying to get some insight as this will definitely affect how we implement updates going forward.

Thanks,
Scot

Legend
Legend

@mx_scot As for me, I've been told by Siemens not long ago that "NX files would be openable 1 "major" versions back".

I guess there has to be some clear communication on this matter.

Best regards,

Frédéric.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @FLehn 

the answer is simple. Compatibility depends on the changes, that are done in a particular NX release, and currently, there is no "save-in-previous-NX-version"-functionality.

You need to look into the "Help -> About NX" function in NX. You will see this:

(example screenshot of NX Jun 2019 beta release shows that parts saved in this version will NOT be backwards compatible)

AboutNX.png

Hope that helps,

Johannes

Legend
Legend

Hi @Johannes_H ,

Thanks for your answer !

Best regards,

Frédéric.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hello Frederic,

There are no plans to make an NX part file saved in a newer version able to open in an older version. If there is a need to move solid and sheet bodies from a newer version of NX to an older version then the best approach is to export them as unparameterized features by using File -> Export -> Parasolid and by selecting the target version from the list. Now you can go back to your older NX version and open the Parasolid there. With this approach, you will now have an older part file with an accurate but non-parametric copy of selected Solid/Sheet models from the newer version of NX.

On communication, let me start a separate post on part compatibility in context to new NX continuous release.

Thanks & Regards

Shirish

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note there is an ENV variable

NX_COMPATIBLE_BASE_RELEASE_VERSION

I would ASSUME (but I do not know for sure) that any version that sets this the same will be open up a file 

e.g. NX1847, 1851, and (I am guessing) 1855 all have this set to "1847", so you (I assume) should be bale to open a file, saved in 1855, in 1847

Ken "caveat emptor" Akerboom 

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled