Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding use of Alt-reps for Assemblies

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

For some assemblies we use Alt-reps for different reasons and this worked fine in NX 6.

When we upgraded to NX 8.5 the possibility to create Alt-reps from assemblies was removed, it was only possible to create from a single component model.

Now when testing NX 10 I have seen that it is now possible again to create Alt-rep from assemblies.

So my questions is, does anyone know the future plan for Alt-reps and how they will work in future releases after NX 10?

Best regards, Alex 

4 REPLIES

Re: Question regarding use of Alt-reps for Assemblies

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Alex, I just tested NX6.0.5 mp12 and NX8.5.3mp11 on Tc8.3.3 and I had no problems creating an Alt Rep Assembly. I also tested NX8.5.3 mp12 and NX10.0.3 mp8 on Tc10.1.6 and had no problem there either. There is a caveat to Alt Rep Assemblies - their children have to be Alt Rep's also, otherwise you will get a warning.  Here's the one from NX6:

AltRepAssembly.png

And from NX10:

AltRepAssemblyNX10.png

So the functionalty

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for answer. I actually want an Alt-rep with the master below, and other masters below that. I get the same error message as you.

As you may know, there are two ways of creating the Alt-rep. Either "Save As Alt rep" or "File new Alt rep"

In NX 8.5.3.3 MP3 with TC 10.1.5 I get the error message for both the ways.

In NX 10.0.3.5 MP5 with TC 10.1.5 I get the error when using the Save As way but when trying File New Alt-rep it works..

So in NX 10 it works to create Alt-rep with other master files below.. Question is if this is some kind of mistake in NX 10 that will be corrected in future releases.

/Alex

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Alex,

I tested NX6, NX7.5, NX8.5, NX9, NX10 and NX11. 

NX8.5 was the only version that prevented me from creating an altrep using "File > New > Altrep".  I found several instances supporting the use case, so I believe it's safe to assume that the functionality will remain.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thats good news for me, thanks!

/Alex